Cold weather essentials

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
I remember a very cold game one of my college teams played in Iowa, one spring. I was freezing and I showed it. My team was freezing and we huddled and tried to warm our hands. The other team was wearing shorts and acting like it was 80 degrees. You can imagine who won. I learned a lot that day.

Wear a jacket, under the shirt if necessary. But, mind over matter and don't keep saying "It is sooooo cold."

Dec 7, 2011
For the 30 degrees, snowing, with 30mph winds we had to deal with the year before last here in the upper midwest:

Underarmour Cold gear then layers layers/layers
polar fleece snug hat (or at least the ear wrap version if hair is important....)
the iron-based hand-warmers (funny to see these fling all over the place while pitchers are pitching)
The Body Furnace : The Body Furnace!
Football hand muffs
Anderson bat (now that pyroflite is banned....)
etc.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
Layers....including a quality mock as the base layer. We have also used propane heaters in the dugout. You can try to keep the equipment warm, but you need to realize that the problem with composite bats below 50 degrees is NOT the bat, it is the softball.

Apr 1, 2010
Layers....including a quality mock as the base layer. We have also used propane heaters in the dugout. You can try to keep the equipment warm, but you need to realize that the problem with composite bats below 50 degrees is NOT the bat, it is the softball.

I was wondering if you couldn't make it a habit to conveniently store your game balls near the propane heater or in a coat pocket that happens to also have a handwarmer packet in it, etc, until game time?

It doesn't help the girls, but one of the moms brought a sleeping bag to a cold game last fall. She was the only spectator who was comfortable. I started keeping one in my car after that.

Last edited:
Aug 4, 2008
Lexington,Ohio
Hand warmers are great. We bring a box of them so all the kids can stick hands in coat pockets. Plus they work in the top of your socks to keep your feet warm. Most teams up north have built in heaters now in the dugout. My dd's college team has them.

Apr 1, 2010
For the 30 degrees, snowing, with 30mph winds we had to deal with the year before last here in the upper midwest:

Underarmour Cold gear then layers layers/layers
polar fleece snug hat (or at least the ear wrap version if hair is important....)
the iron-based hand-warmers (funny to see these fling all over the place while pitchers are pitching)
The Body Furnace : The Body Furnace!
Football hand muffs
Anderson bat (now that pyroflite is banned....)
etc.

That Body Furnace looks interesting. Couple of questions: Does it work well and do you really need to get the extra battery pack? It sounds to me as though it would be possible to simply take along rechargeable batteries for the battery pack that comes with it and make it through the day that way.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DezA