Coaching Ethics

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

What is allowable ethically

• Letting players set a line up and text them

Votes: 1 4.0%
  • letting players set a line up is ok, but texting them is not

Votes: 1 4.0%
  • texting players is ok, but letting them set a line up is not

Votes: 9 36.0%
  • players should not be asked about the line up and should not be texted

Votes: 14 56.0%

• Total voters
Nov 5, 2009
St. Louis MO
My DDs high school coach asks each player to write a line up and give reasons. The whole team does this individually and then gives the lineups to him. He does it as a teaching thing and to help him know what the kids understand about the game and strategy. This is high school, so there are several levels of experience involved. The coach still makes the line up, but may take into consideration some of the suggestions. Sometimes the players will see things he might not as there is a limited amount of time to prepare for the season in high school ball.

Jul 26, 2010
As a HS coach, I insist that they text for any communication such as being late, dr. appt, ect. I also text any schedule or team mandates. The reason for this is because there is a record of text messages, whereas verbal communications have no records.

This way whenever I get pulled into the AD's office because Sally Rich Parents are complaining of playing time, I can show a record of every time Sally was late to practice. It goes both ways, as every player will have a record of what I texted them, and I am more then happy to turn over my text message records should any accusations of conduct be made.

-W

Crazy Softball Guy

Casual Observer
May 31, 2013
As far as lineups, maybe in rec ball at the end of the season, a coach could ask the players to set the lineup for fun. But in travel/comp or HS ball, no way. Coaches are the ones in charge at that level.

Adults texting minors, unless it's your own DD, just doesn't sit well with me, no matter what the intent. Communication to parents via email is effective...and whatever happened to making phone calls?

obbay

Banned
Aug 21, 2008
Boston, MA
I always make the lineup and as a former baseball player from little league through my college playing days I don't ever recall a player having any input what so ever in the lineup. As stated above, it would most likely become more of a popularity contest than a lineup.
Bingo

I think a coach is the coach and the lineup is his responsibility.

Feb 3, 2011
My DD occasionally went over the lineups with me in rec. She wants to coach someday and part of my job as a dad is to teach her about the job. If a rec coach wants to let a different player set the lineup each time, I don't see a problem at all.

One of my 11yo basketball players emailed me recently and it caught me off-guard. She said she'd gotten my email addy from her mom. lol At any rate, this wasn't a big deal as we are family friends, but I did cc her mother in my reply.

Neither of these are questions of ethics, however.

Mar 11, 2013
Jackson, MS
My DDs high school coach asks each player to write a line up and give reasons. The whole team does this individually and then gives the lineups to him. He does it as a teaching thing and to help him know what the kids understand about the game and strategy. This is high school, so there are several levels of experience involved. The coach still makes the line up, but may take into consideration some of the suggestions. Sometimes the players will see things he might not as there is a limited amount of time to prepare for the season in high school ball.
I really like the kids that are inquisitive and want to learn all aspects of the game. And I like to see coaches doing things o promote that desire to learn

May 14, 2010
I text with a lot of my players and former players. When texting first became more common, it occasionally felt a little weird that I would send a message to a 16yr old girl asking about how her Physics grade was doing or how her hip was responding to treatment. My wife and I talked about it. I realized that for many of the players, I was the stable male influence in their lives. I was someone that was sober, employed, and older. In some cases, I was the only positive influence, male or female.

I eventually realized that I will never apologize for caring about my players. I got into coaching to make a difference in the next generation, not to produce Olympic athletes. I let them know I care about them achieving more than just success on the Softball field. I go to their graduations and weddings. Texting is a way of life for the next generation.

I have had a lot of parents express appreciation for the time I take with their DD. I have never once had someone tell me that I was too involved. I have 2 children but I have had a lot of 'daughter's'. I am proud of all of them. And a little self satisfied that so many have gone on to productive lives.

I understand some may be scared of the potential trouble of texting minors. If someone wants to stir up trouble, they will. But they won't find anything on my phone that I would be ashamed of. Or that's illegal. Or even questionable. Besides, texting is captured. It is there for inspection. If I pull a girl to the side after a game for a 15 or 30 second conversation, who can say what was said? So why is it ok to talk with players but not text?

I will never know the real benefits of my texting my players. But maybe the text I send at 8pm asking about their HS team interrupts them from swallowing a bunch of pills. Or maybe when I text them about their grades, it is the necessary nudge for them to apply themselves just a little bit harder and get accepted into the school of their choice. We'll never know. But I'm not too scared to keep trying.

Jul 26, 2010
Anyone who's coached teenage girls will know that they communicate much better through text then speech. I wish I could type faster on those tiny keys or I'd start coaching via text. The kids don't read email, and facebook is publicly searchable forever, so texting is the best form of communication that they have.

-W

Aug 24, 2011
I text with a lot of my players and former players. When texting first became more common, it occasionally felt a little weird that I would send a message to a 16yr old girl asking about how her Physics grade was doing or how her hip was responding to treatment. My wife and I talked about it. I realized that for many of the players, I was the stable male influence in their lives. I was someone that was sober, employed, and older. In some cases, I was the only positive influence, male or female.

I eventually realized that I will never apologize for caring about my players. I got into coaching to make a difference in the next generation, not to produce Olympic athletes. I let them know I care about them achieving more than just success on the Softball field. I go to their graduations and weddings. Texting is a way of life for the next generation.

I have had a lot of parents express appreciation for the time I take with their DD. I have never once had someone tell me that I was too involved. I have 2 children but I have had a lot of 'daughter's'. I am proud of all of them. And a little self satisfied that so many have gone on to productive lives.

I understand some may be scared of the potential trouble of texting minors. If someone wants to stir up trouble, they will. But they won't find anything on my phone that I would be ashamed of. Or that's illegal. Or even questionable. Besides, texting is captured. It is there for inspection. If I pull a girl to the side after a game for a 15 or 30 second conversation, who can say what was said? So why is it ok to talk with players but not text?

I will never know the real benefits of my texting my players. But maybe the text I send at 8pm asking about their HS team interrupts them from swallowing a bunch of pills. Or maybe when I text them about their grades, it is the necessary nudge for them to apply themselves just a little bit harder and get accepted into the school of their choice. We'll never know. But I'm not too scared to keep trying.

I know many, if not most people, will disagree with you but I agree with you entirely. We coaches need to have relationships with our players, which can be challenging with adult males and female high schoolers. If you have the opportunity, read the book LEAD...for God's Sake! by Todd Gongwer. He does a great job explaining coach-player relationships in a fiction parable. It's really well done.

As you said, there is a record of the texts. As you said, I often will send an encouraging text, check in on a grade, etc., although this was much more common with players who had spent some time in the program and with girls where I had gotten to know their parents. I understood there was some risk involved but I found this form of communication important in a mentor-mentee relationship.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ntooutdoors