Portal Stuff

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
Quick portal update. The initial stampede when the portal opened on May 15th has subsided but a steady trickle continues with the D1 portal now up to 830 kids. (Interesting side note 3 Marshall players have entered in the last 24 hours since it was announced their coach would be taking the UNC job assume some if not all will follow her) May see another uptick in activity as we approach the June 28th deadline to enter before the portal closes.
There one easy rule change they need to make. You cannot follow your coach. Another rule should be the player can only enter the portal once. College coaches contracts be a minimum of 3 years????

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
Just out.
By the count of CSE, 697 Division 1 softball players entered the transfer portal in hopes of finding a new home. At the writing of this article, a total of 372 players have come out of the transfer portal eager to take full advantage of the new opportunity that lies ahead of them.

325 players hanging them up?

CSE is trying to make a buck on the portal.

Apr 28, 2014
Just out.
By the count of CSE, 697 Division 1 softball players entered the transfer portal in hopes of finding a new home. At the writing of this article, a total of 372 players have come out of the transfer portal eager to take full advantage of the new opportunity that lies ahead of them.

325 players hanging them up?

CSE is trying to make a buck on the portal.

Maybe, but I know of a few players who entered the portal and didn't get picked up and ended up staying with their current teams. All of their athletic money gets pulled but some only get a small portion. That could be a conversation with their coach at the end of the season.. Coach.. I am only getting 10%... Can you help me with more? Coach.. No sorry, we love you but can't afford more. But if you want to go into the portal feel free.. if no one can give you more you're welcomed to come back.
That happened to a player on DD's team freshman year. The NCAA collects stats on why players are requesting a transfer. They don't publish them but if you decide to transfer there is a video that you're required to watch. In that video it lists the reasons why people transfer and its more about money, and wanting to be closer to home versus playing time. Now I know people lie and use those as excuses but DD and few others we know of transferred to be closer to home. With girls that's a bigger issue than it seems. DD was on a great team, education and expenses covered, was getting a ton of playing time with excellent coaches and still wanted to be closer to home.
To me transferring was crazy but at 20 years old and with a person who has their shirt together (great grades, future lined up) what can ya say as a parent? :)
I think she made a great choice but truth be told I wouldn't have wanted her to enter the portal if she didn't play in her first two years or have meaningful stats.

Nov 5, 2014
Just look at the portal for the first time in awhile and found something startling that is a word of caution. For last year's portal entrants in D1 507 are matriculated and playing for new schools. 347 never found a new home. Some by choice I am sure but many involuntarily.

There is likely some inaccuracies in reporting so the numbers may not exactly reflect reality but I think the point is still valid. It is not always a slam dunk that you will find a better situation

May 17, 2023
Just look at the portal for the first time in awhile and found something startling that is a word of caution. For last year's portal entrants in D1 507 are matriculated and playing for new schools. 347 never found a new home. Some by choice I am sure but many involuntarily.

There is likely some inaccuracies in reporting so the numbers may not exactly reflect reality but I think the point is still valid. It is not always a slam dunk that you will find a better situation

I think that is the point I was trying to make earlier in this thread (and what the P5 coach said), there are certainly some very coveted players who enter the portal. But the idea that all small schools were just going to become feeders for the big programs is not happening (so far at least).

All other things being equal they preferred to invest time and energy into a freshman instead of a player who had issues somewhere else. They made the point that often the symptom of not liking your coach, not getting playing time, etc was really a indication the player didn't like the grind of D1 softball enough to earn the role they wanted. Or just didn't have the talent.....

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles