Portal Stuff

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 7, 2015
SoCal
I think for the players that sat the bench, most will have to transfer down the rankings. The higher the ranking for the previous school, the easier the process. For softball, I would imagine that any teams ranked from ~125 (D1 RPI) and down, transferring while sitting the bench would be a difficult proposition.

But as always, sometimes there's extenuating circumstances requiring schools to dip into the portal. DD's verbal team had 6 players enter the portal this summer. Of their 4 rostered catchers, they lost their part time starter and #3 catcher. #4 catcher was a medical R/S. I would guess that they will have to pick up another catcher that wasn't originally part of the plan. Who knows!?

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
DD's teammate is supposedly transferring to a D1 as a graduate transfer. She started Juco, then d3, now D1. We shall see. She's been in the portal since last fall.

May 23, 2015
In some cases for players that were heavily recruited I wonder if their “culture shock” is that they’re no longer the best player on the team. Superstars on HS and travel ball but not on a college team filled with superstars. Very hard for some of them to come to terms with…

Not playing much, not treated like a star, and will never have it better than they had in travel ball or the recruitment process.

Rather than deal with it they hit the portal, sometimes multiple times, just to get the star recruitment feeling again?

Dunno. I read about pro athletes coming to terms after retirement. They get hooked on being adored as a player and then that just stops. Very difficult for a lot of them.

Maybe a stretch to compare the two but these are kids/young women that haven’t matured or known anything else…in some cases anyway.

May 13, 2023
In some cases for players that were heavily recruited I wonder if their “culture shock” is that they’re no longer the best player on the team. Superstars on HS and travel ball but not on a college team filled with superstars. Very hard for some of them to come to terms with…

Not playing much, not treated like a star, and will never have it better than they had in travel ball or the recruitment process.

Rather than deal with it they hit the portal, sometimes multiple times, just to get the star recruitment feeling again?

Dunno. I read about pro athletes coming to terms after retirement. They get hooked on being adored as a player and then that just stops. Very difficult for a lot of them.

Maybe a stretch to compare the two but these are kids/young women that haven’t matured or known anything else…in some cases anyway.
Definitely a probability in that!
Especially coming from years of travel ball shuffling teams to accommodate similar emotional stimulation.

Nov 5, 2014
Quick portal update. The initial stampede when the portal opened on May 15th has subsided but a steady trickle continues with the D1 portal now up to 830 kids. (Interesting side note 3 Marshall players have entered in the last 24 hours since it was announced their coach would be taking the UNC job assume some if not all will follow her) May see another uptick in activity as we approach the June 28th deadline to enter before the portal closes.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles