COACHES PRE-GAME WARMUP SUPERVISION PLEASE

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 14, 2018
Here's a quick aerial view of two softball complexes in Southern New Jersey that host a number of USSSA Tournaments for the south Jersey and Philly area. In the first one, I highlighted the areas that are reserved for parking and concessions. As you can see, that doesn't leave much room for warmups (that's a tee ball field in the upper left corner):

spencer.jpg

Here is another where I highlighted the actual places where you can warm up. What you can't see is how big of a slope there is in the upper right corner. That nice patch of green on the left side? Swamps of Jersey.
westhampton.jpg

So, yeah, it can be really tough to get enough open space to practice throwdowns.

Nov 18, 2013
The pitchers parents should be getting the girls to games well before the rest of the team. Either hop on a bucket or better yet, coordinate with a cacher to also arrive early.

May 7, 2015
SoCal
:)
Hope that title grabs some attention!!!!

COACHES.....
Why is this continually happening and getting worse over the years...?!!!
Watching 12u travel ball this sunday again saw this....
*Specifically speaking to developmental years...

Enjoy :)
DD's second year on team, was exactly the same last year as second yr 12.

Our warm ups are 1hr 15min and are mostly player run. Pacing is slow and steady. First year 14u. Dynamic Warm Ups, Hitting (1 tee, 1 soft toss, 2 wiffle stations), Throwing, and Glove Work (front, glove side, backhand short hops) are all done exclusively by the players, no supervision.

Coach hits grounders to infielders while 2 pitchers and 2 catchers warm up.

Extra pitchers or extra catcher catches infield throws for coach.

Absolutely zero shenanigans, teams roster size is so large and depth of talent keeps everyone in competition mode.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Here's a quick aerial view of two softball complexes in Southern New Jersey that host a number of USSSA Tournaments for the south Jersey and Philly area. In the first one, I highlighted the areas that are reserved for parking and concessions. As you can see, that doesn't leave much room for warmups (that's a tee ball field in the upper left corner):

View attachment 16146

Here is another where I highlighted the actual places where you can warm up. What you can't see is how big of a slope there is in the upper right corner. That nice patch of green on the left side? Swamps of Jersey.
View attachment 16147

So, yeah, it can be really tough to get enough open space to practice throwdowns.

Where does your team warm up?

Haahha can already imagine cones designating throwing warm up area on that brick dirt side of fields :) LOL....
No i'm being serious ;) !!

Last edited:
May 6, 2015
been to both the parks Rick posted pictures of, and it can be rough to find space to warm up.. that said, at Westampton, you can go out to the right (in the photo) of the concenssion stands, just have to walk a ways to the fields. at spencer, the t ball field and the grassy area next to it become like gold.

curse 8 am games all you want, sometimes it can be advantageous (do first warm up right on field you will play 1st game on, and/or stake out near prime warm space early)

Jul 27, 2015
:)
Hope that title grabs some attention!!!!

COACHES.....
Why is this continually happening and getting worse over the years...?!!!
Watching 12u travel ball this sunday again saw this....
*Specifically speaking to developmental years...

NO PRE-GAME WARM UP COACHING SUPERVISION OF PITCHERS AND CATCHERS ?!!!
NOT EVEN AT BEGINNING OF THE DAY OF SOFTBALL!!!!

Geeez...then they go call pitches uuhhggg....
And...

NO CATCHERS WARM-UPS THROWING FROM CATCHING POSITION???!!!

Certainly there are some coaches that take care of this and do it nicely... thank you for paying attention to the coaches who do!!!!

*However to the coaches who are not paying attention to this...

*PLEASE MAKE IT A PRIORITY !!!

THANK YOU !!!!!

****Parents this should be on your list to make sure your young athletes have good coaching and prepair the entire team befor games!!!!

LET'S GROW SOFTBALL!!

Enjoy :)
We had the opposite problem at 12u. The coaches would have three 2-hour practices during the week, Then run a full 1.5-2 hour warm up on Saturdays. The girls would do 40-50 or so long tosses in warm ups as well as full-on drills. It was insane. The girls would get to the bench before the first game frothing, sweated through and could could hardly move. Yep, they treated warm-ups as a fourth practice then wondered why the girls stunk.

After the season I wrote a not-very-nice email to the coach saying to stop with the full practices before games. I don't regret that I emailed him, but I totally regret how I worded things. He never replied, but you know, we had 50 or so minute warm-ups, which really were warm ups, in the spring and did quite well.

Jul 14, 2018
been to both the parks Rick posted pictures of, and it can be rough to find space to warm up.. that said, at Westampton, you can go out to the right (in the photo) of the concenssion stands, just have to walk a ways to the fields. at spencer, the t ball field and the grassy area next to it become like gold.

curse 8 am games all you want, sometimes it can be advantageous (do first warm up right on field you will play 1st game on, and/or stake out near prime warm space early)

Those first games mean you get to practice on the field! Wet, but worth it!!

Sep 9, 2019

View attachment 16146

View attachment 16147

So why do you go there?

Jul 14, 2018
So why do you go there?

It's not up to me, I'm just a parent. Those are the worst examples that I could think of, just trying to illustrate that there are times when you really can't find 85 feet to practice throwdowns.

Between the two parks I posted, DD probably plays four times a year there. Obviously the coaches and tournament directors don't think it's that big of a deal, which is sort what this thread is all about.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
It's not up to me, I'm just a parent. Those are the worst examples that I could think of, just trying to illustrate that there are times when you really can't find 85 feet to practice throwdowns.

Between the two parks I posted, DD probably plays four times a year there. Obviously the coaches and tournament directors don't think it's that big of a deal, which is sort what this thread is all about.

Not speaking directly at your feedback.
Speaking to all involved in softball.

*If the team gets to warm up
(like doing long throws and out field gets fly balls...)
Its really more about time management and organizing the players correctly!

Not shocked to read excuses.
Or lack of attention to recognizing everyone can/should get warmed up correctly!
Its called planning!

OH YES...
the reason i posted this topic :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corrie00