COACH~THANK YOU FOR BEING OPEN MINDED & PAYING ATTENTION !

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Yes use glove to field/pick.👍 bumped an older post in the catching forum. Has good discussion on that topic!
~Catchers dirt pitch recovery. Field the ball.

Good training video's also.
And video of
'Field & Fire'
Catchers Fielding dirt pitches and transitioning directly into our throw.
Zero down time,
Fastor pop times!
ZAP
These are in catching forum.
There are also other video there in threads like ~catchers on the attack, better than shark week.
First video training workout.
1st session defensive mechanics no ball.
2nd session add ball with transitions.

Here is more training with throws.

(Then end of 2nd video is balance work while framing)

Great job Camille and Natalya, both catchers went on to be starting freshman D1 catchers!
Dedication and hard work in action! Woohoo ZAP!

Last edited:
Feb 5, 2019
Most of the fields we play on are crappy. There's big holes everywhere. If the ball bounces on the dirt consider yourself lucky if it's in your glove.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Most of the fields we play on are crappy. There's big holes everywhere. If the ball bounces on the dirt consider yourself lucky if it's in your glove.
Important to note the mechanics I'm speaking of utilizing still has our body behind the ball.
We have our glove as our priority or First Tool.
To that point of bad fields since the ball is going to bounce erratically ok use luck, and
*Plan and be Prepared to use all we can including our glove! Not limit what we can do.
* Remember pitches can bounce erratically even on a flat surface because of the spin of the ball!

Because there is the expectation that runners should not steal even on dirt pitches~

Prefer the opportunity to use my glove and cut the ball off with my body behind it...body behind it in case need to block.
*Glove cutting off the bad bounce in front of me and controlling the ball...and available with glove range to the sides if needed.
>not put glove between legs limiting that tool. Letting an eratic bounce do whatever.
* erratic bounces often erratically bounce off catchers and get away.

These mechanics have been successful for many decades it's not a New Concept. Crappy fields with chewed-up plates are not a new issue.
Comments like bad Fields whether it's dirt or outfield affect every defensive player.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kyleighsdad