COACHES PRE-GAME WARMUP SUPERVISION PLEASE

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
For those that dont have space...are you saying your teams cant even warm up long throw downs?
Or fly balls to the outfield?
*Absolutely can fit in when team is warming up their arms!!

Agree space can be limited.
However.. really??!!

Just being encouraging getting people to think about some priorities for team/player success!!

5 - 7 minutes come on! ;)
10 throws seriously :)

Just sharing there are coaches that make it happen!

Pre-game plan
Pitcher throws a few...ss in the background... Next to the duggout or just befor entering the field....
"Hey starting catcher lets go!! How about your 5-10 warm ups throws....hussle it up.....
Lets do this! "

LETS THROW RUNNERS OUT!!!

Last edited:
Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
Warm up 3 pitchers using 3 catchers at 12u??? How many on your roster? Dont pitchers and catchers have secondary positions? You have 2 pitchers and 2 catchers riding pine every game??

Oct 4, 2018
Agreed.

We play in tournaments where we have to warm up pitchers on concrete next to the concession stand, or in the parking lot. Or on un-level grass. We've done it in storm drains even.

We then get about 10-15 minutes on the field right when the previous game ends. We jump on the field well before teams have left the dugout from the previous game, just to get a few grounders and fly balls for our fielders.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Agreed.

We play in tournaments where we have to warm up pitchers on concrete next to the concession stand, or in the parking lot. Or on un-level grass. We've done it in storm drains even.

We then get about 10-15 minutes on the field right when the previous game ends. We jump on the field well before teams have left the dugout from the previous game, just to get a few grounders and fly balls for our fielders.

Cement holy bajeebees!
Where is that?

Here i go asking another question :)....
Do you only play on that field...
Or what happens when/if you do have room?

BTW Have asked fans sitting about (ya know in between games) to please move, or a considerate heads up folks...
TEAM needs to warm up!!!!!

Yes have encountered some puffy people LOL who want to mouth back and say no we are sitting here. I'm absolutely okay expressing guess what we're at a tournament "how about some camaraderie and sportsmanship". Pretty easy to pick out what logo team org their with...;) just sayin'!
The team doing our thing speaks loud and clear too!
Generally softball people get it!!! Want the same consideration for their team!!!!

Perhaps it's a good tournament that designate areas for teams to warm up so people picnicking can know in advance.

Softball first at softball events!!!

Last edited:
Oct 4, 2018
We play at about 8 different complexes -- hard to know month to month where we'll play. But yeah, we've had to warm up on concrete paths between the fields and all other kinds of nonsense.

I've asked people to move before. I've asked Tournament Directors to ask people to move before. I've spent entire tournaments getting the stink-eye from parents. Fortunately we've beaten the teams that I've upset. I'm perfectly polite and ask on behalf of the girls, but you'd think I was asking them to move their house to a different state or something.

Sep 29, 2010
Knoxville, TN
Warm up 3 pitchers using 3 catchers at 12u??? How many on your roster? Dont pitchers and catchers have secondary positions? You have 2 pitchers and 2 catchers riding pine every game??
You better have at least two of each, whether they are playing other positions or not. It takes less than 5 minutes and someone to catch the throws to get 10-12 throw downs in. Nothing I hate more than seeing the starting catcher “catching in” while coach hits ground balls and fly balls to the rest of the team for 20 minutes before a game.

Oct 1, 2014
USA
Keep spreading that Catcher Love!! We've seen just about every scenario described here already so not much to add in that regard. As, in my opinion, the toughest overall athlete on the field the Catcher gets taken for granted way too much. Give them the warm up they deserve, Coaches - talk to them about what they see out there (both from their own teammates as well as the opposition) and then use that information if it's valuable...most likely you'll continue to get more and better feedback in the future.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kyleighsdad