Coaches I need some input

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

I could have written this...."We have a pitcher who throws great at home and at practice. But once you put her in a game she gets wild. Her parents are frustrated because she is not pitching as much as she used to in games." Is her consistency a form problem or a confidence problem? Have you tried to address these issues with her PC? On our team, I record the pitchers and send vid directly to each PC if I notice problems or issues that could turn into problems.

Parents that cannot understand limiting playing time to under-performing players are a problem unto themselves...good luck.

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
I'd want more specifics - What age? Travel or rec? How much pitching time has been allocated to each pitcher so far? How has it changed?

One thing I might tell them is that 'our number 3 pitcher' has been throwing a lot of strikes and you felt like she deserved to get more innings. If forced to explain why Player A is getting more time than Player B, sometimes it's better to praise A than bat-mouth B.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
Her parents are frustrated because she is not pitching as much as she used to in games. We ended up pitching our number 3 pitcher more because she was consistent at throwing strikes. How do we talk to the parents and explain to them we need to have more consistent pitching?

When you are a parent it is hard not to compare Players, my DD belongs playing in front of Player X. Do not let the conversation go there.

If your DD wants to pitch more she needs to be more consistent. I am willing to work with you on this but she needs to improve. There are suggestions on this Website how to help pitchers be better prepared for game day.

She beaned 18 batters this year.

I could not resist, welcome to my DD’s world.

The parents are very competitve and want there daughter to to play all the important positions.

If you want to respond to this, it depends on your coaching philosophy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sharonastokes