Coaches don't know the rules, argue most of the time!

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 24, 2013
Bolingbrook, IL
Exactly. Maybe my wording wasn't clear.
Many people think that the batter is automatically out regardless.

Just had this happen this weekend. Our scorekeeper apparently missed the last out of the previous inning and told that same girl she was up to bat. The OOB got a walk and then stole 2nd on the next pitch to the next batter. Their scorekeeper came over and told our scorekeeper the runner (now on 2nd) was out of order and then she told the umpire who called the OOB out.

I should have known better (but didn't realize his call was wrong) and didn't argue with the ump that there were already pitches to the next batter so the batter on 2nd shouldn't have been out. It all happened so quickly that my dad who was watching (who is also an ump) didn't realize what was happening quick enough to alert me the call was wrong. It might have made a difference in the game, but it's rec ball so live and learn. I can guarantee I won't miss that next time.

Dec 4, 2009
Buffalo, NY
Exactly. Maybe my wording wasn't clear.
Many people think that the batter is automatically out regardless.

I had a batter out of order today. A girl on the other team was the wrong batter and their scorekeeper spotted it. The ump made the right call and the proper batter took her place with the count. I had parents screaming that she was out. Now they know better.

Dec 5, 2012
Mid West
After the forth ball was called and my batter is heading towards first, with a runner on three, my batter/runner will possibly head towards second if the d is sleeping. But on numerous occasions, the opposing coach would call time and walk onto the field within literally one second of hearing "ball four!" while my batter is barley even out of the box. And to add insult the PU would allow it...several times after I would protest it to him...

About Them

Awaiting genuis pills
Aug 30, 2011
Chicago Suburbs
Two USSSA rules that coaches and some umpires cannot seem to agree on:

Batter hit by pitch does not make an attempt to get out of the way. Last weekend a girl on our team was hit (turned away from pitch) and was not awarded 1st base. Umpire told our coach that the batter didn't make "enough of an effort" to get out of the way. Funny that usssa rule states "The batter does not have to make an effort to avoid ball. However the batter can not move to get hit by a ball. Dead Ball and a ball or strike."

2013 Umpire Casebook (SITUATION : A pitched ball touches the ground in front of the plate and then hits B1. RULING: B1 is entitled to first base. B1 is not required to make an effort was made to avoid being hit.)

Pitcher cannot wear a first baseman's mitt. My dd has been told to change to a glove in roughly 20% of her starts. While we no longer argue/discuss the point and go along with Blue, I did have a discussion with the UIC at a tournament and showed him the Umpire Casebook showing that dd can wear the mitt. He made a phone call to someone that was further up the food chain. End result? I was told that the ruling was correct, I was wrong, and the rule was written incorrect.

SITUATION A: R3 is on third and R2 on second with one out when B1 bats with a 2-2 count. B1 hits a fly
ball to right field. F9 catches the ball and R3 tags up and scores as R2 advances to third. The defensive
team immediately notifies the umpires that F9 is wearing a first baseman's mitt.
RULING: The play stands. It is legal for F9 to wear a first baseman's mitt. Any fielder can wear a glove or
any fielder can wear a mitt as long as it meets the dimension specifications. The catcher’s mitt/glove can be
any size. (2-9).

From the Rule Book: Sec 9 GLOVES/MITTS: Gloves/mitts made of leather shall be worn by all fielders.

Umpires and coaches in USSSA need to know not only the rule book, but also the Umpire Case Book and the Clarification & Interpretation Book. I never fault coaches for stupidity.....I just fault them for arguing with ignorance.

Jun 11, 2013
How many times to you see an infield fly dropped and the coaches want infield fly rule called even though the right BR's are not on. Had an ump last year in an A 12U tourney make this call. R1 and R2. Ground ball hit to right side hits R1 going to second. RF picks ball up fires to 2nd. Ump call Batter out for hitting runner and R1 out on a force at second. I'm just a parent but asked him if he was serious. He said that was the rule. Instead of 1st and 3rd one out stuck with R3 2 outs. In his defense, he came up to me during the next game and said he was wrong, but still just a basic rule.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CentralCoastBulldogs