Coaches don't know the rules, argue most of the time!

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 22, 2011
The umpire is not ejecting for showing him a rule book, the ejection is for attempting to show up the umpire. Someone that walks out of the dugout waving a rule book telling the umpire he's wrong should be ejected.

That is a completely different scenario from consulting the rule book to rule on a protest.

Thanks Ajaywill.... I'm getting back to coaching summer ball after a 6 year sabbatical and I wanted to make sure a rule hadn't changed and I'll get thrown out for pulling the ASA Participant manual out of my backpack to check something in the rules supplement!

Dec 12, 2012
On the bucket
The smartphone antic was an obvious attempt to show me up! maybe you think that's acceptable. I don't!

What if someone had the rule book downloaded or an app on their phone instead of carrying the paper version? Would it automatically be discredited since it isn't the hard copy version?

Apr 13, 2013
You do need to have a hardcopy of your local rules, some umpires do not bother reading them. They know ASA rules perfectly but we have rules that they are not aware of because they did not spend 5 minutes before the game reading our local rules.

Normally we have the same umpires so it is not an Issue, I do not think they have ever read our local rules but have figured it out over time.

Dec 12, 2012
On the bucket
You do need to have a hardcopy of your local rules, some umpires do not bother reading them. They know ASA rules perfectly but we have rules that they are not aware of because they did not spend 5 minutes before the game reading our local rules.

Normally we have the same umpires so it is not an Issue, I do not think they have ever read our local rules but have figured it out over time.

Very true. I wouldn't take the time to mess with downloading or other electronic versions of the individual tournament rules. They change every weekend and it is too easy to just keep a folded up sheet in the bucket for that. I was referring to the major alphabet soup sanctioning body rule books.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
Are any of you aware that ASA rules are available on an iPad or Smartphone for $4.99 a year?

Aug 14, 2011
A consistent problem with the batting out of order rule, namely they argue that the out of order batter, when the offense realizes and corrects during the at bat, is out anyway or has to start the at bat over. I've seen many a coach and parent accuse teams and umps of cheating during that situation.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
A consistent problem with the batting out of order rule, namely they argue that the out of order batter, when the offense realizes and corrects during the at bat, is out anyway or has to start the at bat over. I've seen many a coach and parent accuse teams and umps of cheating during that situation.

I don't know if it is your wording, but this doesn't look correct.

If the BOO is discovered while the wrong batter is in the box, the correct batter simply assumes the count the wrong batter accumulated and any runner advances or out recorded during the wrong batter's time in the box are legal. IOW, nothing happens other than the correct batter, or a sub, just takes the wrong batter's place.

Aug 14, 2011
I don't know if it is your wording, but this doesn't look correct.

If the BOO is discovered while the wrong batter is in the box, the correct batter simply assumes the count the wrong batter accumulated and any runner advances or out recorded during the wrong batter's time in the box are legal. IOW, nothing happens other than the correct batter, or a sub, just takes the wrong batter's place.
Exactly. Maybe my wording wasn't clear.
Many people think that the batter is automatically out regardless.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ntooutdoors