Coach says DD drops back shoulder

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 1, 2008
ohio
SL, please stop with this foolishness. You and Cshilt should exchange notes. He has already stated, multiple times now, that the videos were removed because they were in error. I’d like to believe that they cared about disseminating “good information” and took note of the issues.

It isn’t like a vertical orientation of the rear forearm wasn’t explicitly highlighted either. Trying to pretend differently is dishonest IMO.

You have the video of the helicopter bat drill. In that video Howard specifically says … “As the elbow comes down, this is stacked”.

As Howard states “this is stacked”, he points to his rear vertical forearm with his left hand and traces his rear vertical forearm up & down with the index finger of his left hand … he is clearly pointing out that the vertical rear forearm is what he means by his use of the word ‘stacked’.

To suggest that the concept of a vertical forearm is being taken out of context is silly. It was made quite clear what was meant. If there has been a revision, then that is a good thing. It won’t be the first time the Hanson Principle has helped people improve on what they teach.

If we could just move forward, that would be nice. I doubt many people are buying into practicing having a vertical forearm. It certainly doesn't pass the Hanson Principle.

Many that have negative comments and can not post them self must have something to hide. In fact some do not want you to actually know who they really are for some reason.

All he FFS seems to want to do is arm chair the details from behind the screen of what others do and then claim his way is best. FFS Please do not talk us to death. Please actually show us HOW you do it yourself as if you were actually teaching it by demonstrating it yourself on video.

You can shave your beard off or grow longer hair so no one knows who you are after the video demonstration.

We would just like to see exactly how you show how the hand path works please!

FFS we are waiting for some video of how you teach, to show us the right way.

Lets get back to hitting so Ken does not ban us.

Straightleg

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
SL, take note that you are on a “discussion board” titled “Softball Hitting Technical”.

I am suggesting that instead of recommending that the rear forearm be vertical as the rear elbow is lowered, that one instead replace that with a goal of maintaining a pinched rear forearm-to-bicep … a Power-Vee. I have followed up with GIFs to help you visualize this. If your honest interest is in learning what I advocate in this regard, then you have it, and you can cease with the foolishness.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
GM, where are your videos describing what you teach?

If your complaint is that my descriptions of what I teach & promote are insufficient for your purposes, then feel free to join in those specific threads and promote further discussion. If video works best for you in terms of communicating, then post video of your understanding and your process. If you are comfortable with written descriptions and posting marked up GIFs, then that works also. I personally welcome a technical discussion from you “on hitting” in virtually any form.

FFS - I'm just a crazy dad who's trying to help his DD. She's a HS junior and I took Slugger's advice to heart and retired from rear't coaching her travel team. She listens and learns best from others so I work with her independently to reinforce what her coaches/instructors are teaching. Right now, she's playing catch up in all phases of the game now having just been cleared for unlimited softball activity 2.5 weeks ago after being on the shelf since ACL surgery in Sept. I'm relying on her instructors and want to make sure that they're leading her down the right path. I'm a former D1 BB player and have coached boys BB from ages 6-18 and girls SB from 5-15 and will sadly admit that I didn't know what I thought I knew. It's likely I will coach SB again after DD's playing days are over so I have a current and future interest in teaching effectively. At this point, I'm not too bad looking at video, but still miss a lot w/ real time swings. As I noted previously, its the how to teach in visual format that I find most usefull. I will be trying to post DD swing video for suggestions sometime soon.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
GM … best wishes to your daughter with her come back.

Whether people admit it or not, we are all “students of the game” … just in varying degrees.

You putting coaching aside temporarily is an interesting topic in itself. There are some that believe that doing so is an unselfish act that puts your daughter’s best interests ahead of your own interests. Like I said … it is a topic of it’s own. Hearing that you plan to return to coaching later suggests to me that you have put some thought into what is best, and likely made a good decision.

Aug 1, 2008
ohio
FFS quote
I am suggesting that instead of recommending that the rear forearm be vertical as the rear elbow is lowered, that one instead replace that with a goal of maintaining a pinched rear forearm-to-bicep … a Power-Vee

You stuck on this. Stacked forearm.

Demonstrate the right way to do it, not using someone else's swing or daughter?
Come on FFS you have a 1650 post count.

Surely there is at least 1 post of your own material?

Straightleg

Last edited:
May 20, 2008
FFS
I also would like to see video of any player you worked with so i can have a better idea of what you teach.
I hope thats not to much to ask for.

Oct 25, 2009
I've read many posts on here by FFS as well as others. The explanations and clips they have used with their posts have been of good enough quality that I understood what they were trying to get across. They are what they are. There are plenty of great models to use for discussion.

If the real issue here was a vertical forearm or not then I believe it has been addressed and resolved that the vertical forearm is not what should be done.

Let's move past this so that we can learn some other things.

Aug 4, 2008
Lexington,Ohio
Just to clarify one thing. The video posted by FSS was taken from ifubuildit, who is Dana Maggs owner of Excel hitting and pitching. He is a very successful instructor located in Texas with many students. He no longer posts on this site which I feel is our loss. I think we need to ask ourself, do we want advice from those that we know are successful instructors or from those that we have no idea who they are and do they really teach. It would be no different than sending your kid to school to learn. Many of us spend a bunch of money on our kids. We just want them to have the best instructor and the best advice possible. That is more of a question on here. Take advice from someone we know or someone that is a manager at a coffee shop. Internet is great, and these sites can be very informative, if you know how to shift thru some of the information that is bogus.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mtgeremesz