Coach says DD drops back shoulder

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 4, 2008
Lexington,Ohio
Between cups of coffee, ( since I'm sure you get a good deal on coffee), could you please video your self showing everyone what you teach and not what others actually do. Crystl actually stresses keeping the back elbow nearly stacked while doing the matrix drill to allow for it to happen naturally in a game swing. Others have tried to video tape an idea or concept except you. Please put yourself through the Hanson Principle and video how you actually teach it by showing yourself actually demonstrating it yourself. You’re posting of other peoples intellectual property rights IE their images that the NCAA, MLB, NPF, ESPN and ASA have the rights to!

What principle does that fall under? Please show us a video using your own image. Your rhetorical Hanson Principle is getting old so please show us your image so we can comment on your actual techniques and apply it, the Hanson Principle as Dana, Tweeks, Howard, BM, Straightleg, cshilt and many others, including parents seeking answers have.. Of course they actually teach or have played the game . Just don’t try to BS me, since you forget I know your credentials and who you really are and you didn't want anyone to find out .

Last edited:
May 13, 2008
I must have missed it ..... because I'm not waivering on my stance to NOT have a goal of a perfectly aligned vertical rear forearm. It's simply a bad idea that is not supported by the Hanson Principle.

I will use caps so you don't miss it this time. NEITHER HOWARD OR CRYSTL HAVE A GOAL OF A PERFECTLY ALIGNED VERTICAL REAR FOREARM. YOU ARE THE ONLY ONE SAYING THAT. YOU HAVE TAKEN SNIPPETS OF VIDEOS OUT OF CONTEXT.

The cue you heard was "stacked" and what it means is to have the top hand even with the rear elbow at the RVP connection point.

Go to the 2:50 mark of this video...

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Between cups of coffee, ( since I'm sure you get a good deal on coffee), could you please video your self showing everyone what you teach and not what others actually do. Crystl actually stresses keeping the back elbow nearly stacked while doing the matrix drill to allow for it to happen naturally in a game swing. Others have tried to video tape an idea or concept except you. Please put yourself through the Hanson Principle and video how you actually teach it by showing yourself actually demonstrating it yourself. You’re posting of other peoples intellectual property rights IE their images that the NCAA, MLB, NPF, ESPN and ASA have the rights to!

What principle does that fall under? Please show us a video using your own image. Your rhetorical Hanson Principle is getting old so please show us your image so we can comment on your actual techniques and apply it, the Hanson Principle as Dana, Tweeks, Howard, BM, Straightleg, cshilt and many others, including parents seeking answers have.. Of course they actually teach or have played the game . Just don’t try to BS me, since you forget I know your credentials and who you really are and you didn't want anyone to find out .

I have multiple videos of Crystl in which I've highlighted the Power-Vee. She may teach a vertical stacked rear forearm as you say, but she didn't swing that way in games.

Maybe there is some confusion on what the Hanson Principle is. It isn't about you saying that Crystl promotes one thing and then video showing the opposite.

The Hanson Principle (… the one to use)
“Always compare what anybody tells you about the swing to slow motion clips of the best hitters in the world”.
-- Mark Hanson

Pujols-OverShoulder-4_PowerVee.gif

Finch_PowerVee.gif

FP_Swing_Demo_PowerVee.gif

Pujols16_PowVee.gif

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
I will use caps so you don't miss it this time. NEITHER HOWARD OR CRYSTL HAVE A GOAL OF A PERFECTLY ALIGNED VERTICAL REAR FOREARM. YOU ARE THE ONLY ONE SAYING THAT. YOU HAVE TAKEN SNIPPETS OF VIDEOS OUT OF CONTEXT.

The cue you heard was "stacked" and what it means is to have the top hand even with the rear elbow at the RVP connection point.

Go to the 2:50 mark of this video...

Do you agree that the slow motion matrix drill that shows Howard working with SL's daughter is grossly incorrect in this regard?

p.s.
Notice at the point you referenced in the video that Yeager speaks of the elbow being bent AND the "bat" stacked on top of the hands.

Last edited:
Aug 1, 2008
ohio
FFS your video on the back side of AP sure looks similar to what Hitter describes as the hand is nearly stacked over the elbow. I wonder what it would look like from the other side with this much slow motion.

I have seen him drop a ball and say this is dropping and I have never seen a hitters shoulder drop off. He then takes his lead hand and pulls on the top hand elbow to demonstrate as the elbow is moved forward the lead shoulder tilts upward and the back shoulder lowers. He feels since girls are audio/ visual learners this helps them understand it better especially in front of a mirror.

Another way we have seen him demonstrate this is too have the hitter stand with their belly button towards a mirror with their arms out to their sides like airplane wings. Bend at the waist and soften the knees. He then holds a ball about knee level and they turn and tilt and pick up the ball with the top hand. Being able to see it from the side and then as if looking at the pitcher seems to help and then while holding a bat while he holds the ball puts the see it, feel it and fix it in their mind. He holds a ball at rise ball level and knee high level and points out the elbow is always above the plane of the pitch and the angle of the bat changes as to plane of the pitch.

SB
That is what Howard is talking about in FFS video he posted. Hand stacked over the elbow.
Its clear as day. Thanks FFS.

Again I say for the 10th time
Being perfectly linear stacked is a quote you made up all by yourself.

Just follow the hansan principle and go along with what Howard teach"s.
Any hitter you work with will greatly benefit!!!

Do you work with hitters?
Have not seen any

Everytime I check this web site out , you bring up my name and my daughters name. Its getting old!!

Straightleg

Last edited:
Jul 11, 2009
I have multiple videos of Crystl in which I've highlighted the Power-Vee. She may teach a vertical stacked rear forearm as you say, but she didn't swing that way in games.

I don't have a dog in this fight but I don't remember Howard or Crystal saying VERTICALLY stacked, I do however remember him saying stacked in both the video and at a clinic.

Jan 14, 2009
Atlanta, Georgia
I don't have a dog in this fight but I don't remember Howard or Crystal saying VERTICALLY stacked, I do however remember him saying stacked in both the video and at a clinic.

For me, it's more about what is being demonstrated in the video and not so much what is being said. It would help if someone familar with the drill could clarify once and for all if it's a real drill to teach how the arms work to establish connection; or not?

May 13, 2008
Do you agree that the slow motion matrix drill that shows Howard working with SL's daughter is grossly incorrect in this regard?

Maybe that is why they removed the video from Youtube? They weren't working on the back elbow in the drill and I honestly think they overlooked it when they posted the video. I've worked at their clinics and I've seen this drill probably a thousand times and I can tell you unequivocally that they do not promote a vertical rear forearm.

There is a lot of people on this forum that have been to their clinics, have you heard a single one back you up on your claim of the "vertical forearm"?

Aug 20, 2009
Bristol pa
Patrick Hunter’s original question concerned his DD’s tendency to hit pop-ups. This question is one that each player, coach, and parent should evaluate because every batter will hit a pop-up. Dropping the back shoulder is one reason for the pop-up. Why the back shoulder drops, and what can be done to prevent this from happening in game situations, is what we should be exploring. Many times hitters are fooled by different pitches that will cause their swing to deviate from their “normal “swing” paths. We should be discussing who to fix this very common flaw. Hearing about some principle that must be adhered to, in which most softball or baseball coaches have never even heard off, is just a big waste of time. Who is this Hanson fellow anyway? The only Hanson’s I know, that were involved with sports, were 3 brothers who played hockey for the Charlestown Chiefs in the old Federal Hockey League around 1977. Can we just stick to the question at hand? On a side note, I wish that I had 12 girls who could swing a bat like the batter in the old Howard videos. That girl could flat out hit. Somebody taught her well, the “vertical forearm” debate is just nonsence.

obbay

Banned
Aug 21, 2008
Boston, MA
The reason for pop-ups is getting under the ball too much. Period. Like someone previously said, the girls I see popping up are usually due to swinging down on the ball, chopping at it or swinging level with both elbows glued to their sides.

statements like "dropping the shoulder too much" are useless without explanation. I heard a U14 coach doing BP telling his DD to stop dropping her shoulder. problem was, she was dropping her shoulder like AP and was executing a beautiful swing. when she "corrected" this it gave her a crappy, level "softball swing". He was applying the term as he had heard others apply it, not knowing what it meant or why it was necessary.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mdawson30