Coach says DD drops back shoulder

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

sru

Jun 20, 2008
Patrick, I can relate and offer my 2 cents.

I am no hitting coach, far from it actually, but my now 14U DD has struggled with dropping hands, collapsing of the back shoulder, bat drag, and a sweeping swing. She has great bat speed, but I noticed everytime she had a swinging strike, her bat was below the ball, she also had a difficult time hitting inside pitches. She was hitting pitches very low in the strikezone, but if the pitcher was throwing high, she would strike out.Thanks to the hitting experts on this site, a local hitting coach and her new team coach who has an eye for a good swing, we pinpointed her problems. After 5 months of weekly tee work, she now has a proper swing (curiously her bat speed is a little slower, but her power is through the roof).

Your DD's coach may be right, or he may be wrong, it will be up to you to see for yourself. Keep track of her hitting for the next few weeks, look for where she is hitting the ball on the field (always to the SS or 3rd, always pop-ups, always grounders, lots of foul balls etc, etc.), these are all clues to her mechanics. Record what pitches she can can't hit and pay close attention to where she is missing. Also use video if you can and review it in slow motion to see what is happening. (My DD's swing was so fast that no one could see her elbows leading her hands, this is where video comes in handy).

Let us know what you find.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Maybe that is why they removed the video from Youtube? They weren't working on the back elbow in the drill and I honestly think they overlooked it when they posted the video. I've worked at their clinics and I've seen this drill probably a thousand times and I can tell you unequivocally that they do not promote a vertical rear forearm.

There is a lot of people on this forum that have been to their clinics, have you heard a single one back you up on your claim of the "vertical forearm"?

My claim is that the objective of a vertical rear forearm is a faulty goal. I don't care who is promoting it, the goal defies the Hanson Principle, and when built into the swing it impacts the swing in a negative way.

What we frequently see in good swings at the RVP-Connection-Point position is ...

1: Alignment of the "hands" + "rear shoulder" + "rear elbow" + "rear hip".

2: A pinched rear forearm-to-bicep ... Power-Vee.

2gwyush.jpg

The "Power-Vee" should exist at 'launch' and there should be a goal to maintain the "Power-Vee" through to the swing passing through the RVP-Connection-Point position.

Pujols_RearView_PowerVee.gif

Aug 1, 2008
ohio
Let the record show that this is not Howard Carrier, Crystl Bustos, or Straightleg.

Agreed
Thats not me or Howard
Again you post a video of a guy and a student that you downloaded.
Do you have this hitting coach's permission?

I know who this guy is, never met him.
Who know's what he was working on with this hitter?

Maybe he was correcting a casting out swing?
Maybe he was showing her bat lag. I was not there, you?

Straightleg

Last edited:
Aug 1, 2008
ohio
Howards methods measure up at the plate.
FFS while having your coffee and applying the Hanson Principle to everyone that dares to post video other than yourself, my daughter is hitting .583 7 games into the season.
She plays in a tough league
PLAYER G AB RUNS HITS 2B 3B HR RBI SB OBP AVG
4 Casey 7 24 16 14 3 3 1 16 15 0.655 0.583
135 lbs and leading the league in rbi's. Batting in the 3 hole

Your video posting skills are unprecedented. So why can you not post a clip of you presenting how you teach staying connected or what the hand path is that you actually teach. What not step up to plate and allow others to apply their critique to your methods? You appear to be dodging the issue.

Straightleg

Last edited:
Aug 1, 2008
ohio
Greetings all, During our last practice my DD's coach mentioned to her about dropping her back shoulder was causing her to hit popups. I don't really see it, looks more to me like she is trying to get her bat on the plane of the lower pitch. What should I be looking for?, like I said he seems to notice on lower pitches, her head maybe?
Thanks, Patrick Hunter

SB family said it right.

Go matrix ( slo motion) with your bat. Take a swing. Keep hand a few inches ahead of elbow through swing.

Shoulder did not drop WOW!!

Now put elbow ahead of hands ( slo motion swing). Down goes the shoulder

Tilting in plane and getting your elbow ahead of the hands is 2 different things.

Straightleg

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Howards methods measure up at the plate.
FFS while having your coffee and applying the Hanson Principle to everyone that dares to post video other than yourself, my daughter is hitting .583 7 games into the season.
She plays in a tough league
PLAYER G AB RUNS HITS 2B 3B HR RBI SB OBP AVG
4 Casey 7 24 16 14 3 3 1 16 15 0.655 0.583
135 lbs and leading the league in rbi's. Batting in the 3 hole

Your video posting skills are unprecedented. So why can you not post a clip of you presenting how you teach staying connected or what the hand path is that you actually teach. What not step up to plate and allow others to apply their critique to your methods? You appear to be dodging the issue.

Straightleg

SL

First ... congrats to your daughter.

Second ... this was an issue that worked into your daughter's swing that you had to address. To suggest otherwise would be to paint a picture that would lead others astray. Something I'd like to think you would be beyond.

Third ... what is it that you don't understand about being connected that you need assistance with?

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
SB family said it right.

Go matrix ( slo motion) with your bat. Take a swing. Keep hand a few inches ahead of elbow through swing.

Shoulder did not drop WOW!!

Now put elbow ahead of hands ( slo motion swing). Down goes the shoulder

Tilting in plane and getting your elbow ahead of the hands is 2 different things.

Straightleg

SL, it is very easy to perform an incorrect mechanic in slow motion. You had your daughter demonstrate that for us. This is why the Hanson Principle is important. Elements of the drill that your daughter performed, that defied the Hanson Principle, ended up in your daughter's swing. The Hanson Principle is a simple screen to help avoid performing faulty drills ... and it is quite easy to perform faulty mechanics via a slow-motion swing. Just because you can do something in slow motion does not mean it is correct.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ceez12