Coach says DD drops back shoulder

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 1, 2008
ohio
SL, it is very easy to perform an incorrect mechanic in slow motion. You had your daughter demonstrate that for us. This is why the Hanson Principle is important. Elements of the drill that your daughter performed, that defied the Hanson Principle, ended up in your daughter's swing. The Hanson Principle is a simple screen to help avoid performing faulty drills ... and it is quite easy to perform faulty mechanics via a slow-motion swing. Just because you can do something in slow motion does not mean it is correct.

Show us anything you do, slow or fast

Straightleg

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Already discussed. That was the video they took down. Seriously dude, let it go.

According to SBF, Crystl actually stresses keeping the back elbow nearly stacked while doing the matrix drill. SL also comments that Howard is talking about the hand stacked over the elbow. I suppose it comes down to one’s interpretation of what is meant. In some of the videos of Dana, SL and Howard there appeared to be a resemblance of a near perfect vertical rear forearm. SL’s daughter even got to the point where her actual swings began to take on this characteristic. Not that I think there is anything wrong with revision, or that there even was a revision … nor does it really important to connect a particular concept with a person … IMO it is more important to gain an understanding that the rear forearm should not be perfectly vertical, or at least that isn’t what we see in Crystl’s game swings anyway.

I don’t see this discussion going much further. If you have a technical point to make, then I’d like to discuss that. References to a particular person aren’t necessary. The Hanson Principle cares less about the source of information. Let’s try to keep the discussion on hitting concepts and discuss the technical relevance of the concepts.

Last edited:
Aug 1, 2008
ohio
Let’s try to keep the discussion on hitting concepts and discuss the technical relevance of the concepts.[/QUOTE]

Do you have any? Any video? Anything of your own that you do?

Straightleg

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
The crux of the on-going discussion is not WHAT constitutes a good swing, its really about HOW the high level swing is taught. Some members have posted video of HOW they try teach a good swing using certain drills, some of which may stress one component at the expense of another. Many drills exaggerate swing components or involve movements that do not appear in a good swing i.e., no one swings one-handed in games, but few would disagree that one-handed drills are effective at isolating parts of the swing. If we all could show our DD's (and/or sons for that matter) video of a perfect swing and say just copy this, there wouldn't be any need for discussions in the DFP hitting forums. I can't do this, so I'm here to learn HOW to effectively teach the high level swing.

FFS - your efforts posting video here are appreciated and I have found many if not most of your swing analyses to be very helpful. However, while others, including MTS, SL, Tewks, Hitter etc. have offered video showing HOW they teach, you have not. If you don't care to for whatever reason, that's your perogative and I can respect that; but if you can't SHOW me HOW you teach, recognize that it lends little credibility to your comments and critiques of others' drills. I honestly find value in using the Hansen Principle as a screening method and have developed a two-part corollary to it for evaluating hitting advice. It's originally coined GM's Corollary to the Hansen Principle : Part 1 = how do the methods and drills a hitting instructor uses to teach compare to what the best instructors are teaching; and, Part 2 = how do the hitters they produce compare to the best hitters? I'll be following the advice of those who measure up.

FWIW - I don't personally know or have a single tie or allegiance to any DFP member who currently or historically posts in the hitting forums. I've probably learned something from almost everybody who has posted previously in this thread and owe them a thank you for contributing to my better understanding of hitting and increasing ability of how to teach it effectively. At this point in my journey, I'm finding that words are cheap and my primary interest is video of HOW to teach the high level swing.

Hoping for more video of HOW to teach the high level swing - GM

Oct 19, 2009
My dad always said that advice comes to you from all directions. Pay close attention to the advice that comes from successful people, if it worked for them it can work for you.

Aug 1, 2008
ohio

Gm
Howard and I made those videos to help other parents. 10 of them I believe. Took most of a day.

Some people take it too far on commenting on what was posted. Like you said you might isolate a body part and work on it. What some look for is a part of the video that is not right, ( not the part your working on) and post 30 times how it is wrong. Even on other websites, that we did not post on.
This website was the only place Howard gave his permission to post the videos.

Everyone on here knows what I am talking about.

Some people even copied that video off this website and posted it on other websites.
It got out of hand.

So we had to pull all the video. Its a shame

Those videos were not perfect swings. It was to help to build a better swing.

Straightleg

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
GM, where are your videos describing what you teach?

If your complaint is that my descriptions of what I teach & promote are insufficient for your purposes, then feel free to join in those specific threads and promote further discussion. If video works best for you in terms of communicating, then post video of your understanding and your process. If you are comfortable with written descriptions and posting marked up GIFs, then that works also. I personally welcome a technical discussion from you “on hitting” in virtually any form.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR

Gm
Howard and I made those videos to help other parents. 10 of them I believe. Took most of a day.

Some people take it too far on commenting on what was posted. Like you said you might isolate a body part and work on it. What some look for is a part of the video that is not right, ( not the part your working on) and post 30 times how it is wrong. Even on other websites, that we did not post on.
This website was the only place Howard gave his permission to post the videos.

Everyone on here knows what I am talking about.

Some people even copied that video off this website and posted it on other websites.
It got out of hand.

So we had to pull all the video. Its a shame

Those videos were not perfect swings. It was to help to build a better swing.

Straightleg

SL, please stop with this foolishness. You and Cshilt should exchange notes. He has already stated, multiple times now, that the videos were removed because they were in error. I’d like to believe that they cared about disseminating “good information” and took note of the issues.

It isn’t like a vertical orientation of the rear forearm wasn’t explicitly highlighted either. Trying to pretend differently is dishonest IMO.

You have the video of the helicopter bat drill. In that video Howard specifically says … “As the elbow comes down, this is stacked”.

As Howard states “this is stacked”, he points to his rear vertical forearm with his left hand and traces his rear vertical forearm up & down with the index finger of his left hand … he is clearly pointing out that the vertical rear forearm is what he means by his use of the word ‘stacked’.

To suggest that the concept of a vertical forearm is being taken out of context is silly. It was made quite clear what was meant. If there has been a revision, then that is a good thing. It won’t be the first time the Hanson Principle has helped people improve on what they teach.

If we could just move forward, that would be nice. I doubt many people are buying into practicing having a vertical forearm. It certainly doesn't pass the Hanson Principle.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ntooutdoors