Coach says DD drops back shoulder

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 11, 2009
GM
Good luck in your journey! You and your DD will do fine as it appears to me that the foundation for success is already there in the terms of talent and knowledge. A good coach does not always have to be the best at the game they need to be able to read the kids they coach and teach those kids. You obviously can read kids and that puts you ahead of several coaches I know. Also do not feel that you need to qualify yourself to anyone on here....you stated your beliefs and if others feel the need to challenge you on that then so be it.
I too am a coach and a crazy dad trying to get 2 DD's through this game we call softball. I try to learn from a lot of folks and places. It is a struggle at times but one thing I have done was to listen to everyone and use what made sense to me. So far it has worked. We are a long way from being where we want to be but we gain by the day.

Now to the question that started the post. Both of my DD's have struggled with pop ups and both of them were literally dipping their whole body. Bat Drag did not offer a pop up issue even with my oldest DD struggling with horrible Bat Drag. For us Bat Drag lead to a lot of ground outs simply due to the need to hit the ball so far out in front of her. So far out in front that she could not help but roll her wrists which lead to ground balls all of the time. Now that being said that is just my DD and that is all that I will comment or post on is my DD's. As for fixing our pop up problem we started with a more athletic stance, soft knees, tilt the back, then focus on the turn and keep the bat in line with the shoulders. This helped put more power to the ball and cut down on dipping their body and undercutting the ball. It is a connection issue but you cannot tell her that or she will look at you like you are purple, she will not understand. So show her what you mean and get some good slow reps on a tee. We used a lot of "airplane" swings like Howard teaches to get them to understand how to tilt and turn. As stated earlier do yourself a huge favor and video your DD and look it over with her so she can see what she is doing. She will appreciate it and will learn from it.
Good Luck!!
MK

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2009
I don't know anyone on here or their credentials. I take whatever information I read on here and try it myself or at least run it through my head and see if I can find anything that will help with the kids I work with.

One thing that I have learned over the years is that there is no ONE expert. Coaches I've studied in the past have changed over the years. This is a good thing I guess. Like they say, you must never stop learning.

Discussing fastpitch is the purpose of this forum and I benefit from all of the posters on here. The drama is somewhat distracting but what I've learned has been worth it. There are kids who have benefited from what I've learned here.

I'm not a professional coach nor a coffee shop manager but I do know something about hitting--and I want to know more.