Coach pitch for 10u

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 8, 2016
Only difference for me was I was on the other side of the Mass-NY border so I believe the term is dreaded Red Sox.

Not sure how you old you are but for the most part when I was a kid there wasn't much to dread about the Red Sox or the Yankees for that matter (80's ) :p

Jun 11, 2013
Not sure how you old you are but for the most part when I was a kid there wasn't much to dread about the Red Sox or the Yankees for that matter (80's ) :p

I'm probably a little older than you so for me it started more in late 70's when they were both very good. To add to the misery of the Sox was being in college in 86 when the let the Mets win when I was in college with what seemed like 2 million kids from Long Island :)

Jun 8, 2016
I'm probably a little older than you so for me it started more in late 70's when they were both very good. To add to the misery of the Sox was being in college in 86 when the let the Mets win when I was in college with what seemed like 2 million kids from Long Island :)

What happened in 1986..while I can remember the lineup I seemed to have blanked out the result of that season for some reason :rolleyes:

Jun 8, 2016
One out away from winning the World Series and the ball went between Bill Buckner's legs.

Ah yes..I vaguely remember my Dad throwing stuff at our 18 inch black and white television set equipped with the cool bunny ear antennas :mad:

May 6, 2015
my $0.02

-have to have some sort of rescue when pitchers cannot find plate at rec levels. walkfests will drive kids away faster than anything. our league in 10u did player pitch, but pitcher could not walk in runs, bases loaded, 4 ball count, coach pitches. let the girls really throw a lot, but made teams put ball in play to score (we also limited steals to 3 total and only one home only in second half of season). we rarely got to full 6 innings before 2 hr time limit, but we got in at least 4 every time, usually 5. and kids hit the ball.

also, regarding lobbing it in, I agree, coaches have to make effort to throw fairly level. this assures at least a minimum of speed, and my experience was girls actually had more success on those than on lollipops. more consistency, and easier for me to pitch actually. I still learned their sweet spots, but they still had to find the ball. also important to make coaches throw from rubber. one year I had coaches starting with back foot on the bottom of the circle, practically front soft toss.

Nov 18, 2015
I was going through the 1986 lineup the other day with my DD and she was amazed that I remembered most of the stances..I was amazed too because I can barely remember what I had for breakfast yesterday.

Same here, though I was on the other side. But especially the stances. I think I showed off a few of the Mets stances to my daughters team once. No looks of amazement, however - mostly blank stares :confused:. I clearly remember watching game 6, and for some reason, even remember the blanket I had wrapped around me (it was NOT a warm October evening!)

The Mets used a few lineups that year. Usually, though, IIRC, it was Mooooookie Wilson, Wally Backman / Tim Teufel (platoon, even though Wally was a switch-hitter), Keith Hernandez, "Darrrrrylll, Darrrrryyyyyll" Strawberry, Gary Carter, Ray Knight, Kevin Mitchell (also a platoon at times - Gregg Jeffries? - refusing to google it as a matter of pride...), and Rafael Santana. Santana really should have been batting 9th, as most of the Mets pitchers were better hitters than he was.

Thanks for the flashback. I now return you to your regularly scheduled forum.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corrie00