Coach Candrea taken to the hospital

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
News reports, here, are saying that Mike Candrea was taken to the hospital by ambulance. He left the UofA/ASU game in the 3rd inning. There were playing in Phoenix.

U of A just dropped all 3 games to ASU. (Friday, Saturday, Sunday)

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
Not To make light of this but you know me, I got a story.

We were playing in a local fundraiser tournament for an injured child. "I" lost the championship game for us on a wild card play at the plate to a friendly rival of ours.

About 30 seconds later I hear the Ambulance siren going off and driving up to the fields. It stopped right behind our dugout, my friend ( who is a local paramedic ) jumps out and runs around the back pulling out the stretcher. Yells over at me, " anyone who just lost like that must need medical attention". The girls thought that was the funniest thing ever.

Aug 29, 2011
Dallas, TX
News reports, here, are saying that Mike Candrea was taken to the hospital by ambulance. He left the UofA/ASU game in the 3rd inning. There were playing in Phoenix.

U of A just dropped all 3 games to ASU. (Friday, Saturday, Sunday)

I really suffered for this guy when he lost his wife. I may not agree completely with pure linear hitting, but he is one of the best coaches in the world. Coaching in Europe I meet a lot of the national coaches, and clinics are offered through the ISF and some through national associations. There were several coaches there for all European country ESF clinics last year. I am not there because I go to specific countries. But in doing so the coaches comment about those clinics, and I have seen their lesson plans, study materials, and get a sense of the coaches impact on the softball coaching staffs. Mike Candrea had the most impressive study book I have ever seen there. It had a wow factor! He took it serious. In contrast a rather famous Division I coach from California went to a major clinic just before I arrived in the winter. The coaches traveled there, paid for 3-4 days of hotel, food, and clinic fees. The average coach was probably out $700 minimum. I asked a few coaches what they learned in 3 days, 8 hours a day, in the clinic. They shrugged their shoulders. Then one lady offered that she learned a different timing for taking the lead off bases. Mike Candrea is a giant in this game regarless of his W/L record. And he may have made a bigger impact over there, than here, and that is saying something!

Footnote: I remember a game in Phoenix at the Pepsi Classic where Arizona was smoking us, and won 13-1. By the 3rd inning, Candrea had them taking one base at a time. He better come out of this!

Last edited:
Jul 26, 2010
Coach Candrea is amazing. I've been lucky enough to attend a few of his clinics, and he's always taken the time to chat in between sessions. My favorite time was just a few months ago in California at an ASA clinic. He was having issues with powerpoint, so instead of doing the canned presentation on hitting, he just grabbed a bat and showed (not just told) everyone how he teaches hitting for 2 hours, and it was extremely enlightening and informative.

I hope everything works out. According to this, He's fine it seems everything is normal, and hopefully this turns out to be one of those oppertunitites to catch any issues early on before they are a real problem. ASU softball completes sweep of UA

-W

Aug 29, 2011
Dallas, TX
Coach Candrea is amazing. I've been lucky enough to attend a few of his clinics, and he's always taken the time to chat in between sessions. My favorite time was just a few months ago in California at an ASA clinic. He was having issues with powerpoint, so instead of doing the canned presentation on hitting, he just grabbed a bat and showed (not just told) everyone how he teaches hitting for 2 hours, and it was extremely enlightening and informative.

I hope everything works out. According to this, He's fine it seems everything is normal, and hopefully this turns out to be one of those oppertunitites to catch any issues early on before they are a real problem. ASU softball completes sweep of UA
-W

Thanks for the post, and thank God!

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
"Arizona Softball head coach Mike Candrea left today's game with Arizona State after experiencing chest pains and tightness, which are likely stress-related.

Prior to the third inning, Candrea was taken from the field in an ambulance to a nearby hospital where he is undergoing tests.

No further details have been provided by the University of Arizona at this time."

Feb 9, 2012
Dearborn, Mi.
Thanks for the posts and the updates. Don't seem to get much softball news round here, unless you are looking for it.

He is a great name in the game and has meant a lot to a lot of people who deal with the sport.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChippyNole