Coach asked me why I teach I/R!!

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 29, 2014
I would simply say "It is because that is how all the best pitchers throw the ball". If he says but so and so "said", I would simply reply "I'm teacher her what they do not what they say"

It is absolutely hilarious to me that given all the technology and evidence to the contrary everyone still applies the Jennie Finch method...do one thing and teach another then while demonstrating exaggerate something a second after you have completely released the ball to make it seem like your teaching was correct.

This is why I love listening to Amanda Scarborough she has really taken to heart studying exactly what she is doing so she can relate to others and once she found out it was not exactly the same as she had been told or what she was telling others she simply changed what she was saying; obviously she was not going to change how she pitched the ball so she just better explained what she could now see was actually happening

Feb 4, 2016
I am some what new here. I have been reading about I/R and getting more knowledge as I go. I wanted to see what you think of our situation. My DD is 10 and we started with pitching lessons about a year ago. Like I said previously I am still learning. Her pitching coach teaches HE I think. When we started I saw this being taught. The finish was definitely HE. We did all the snaps etc. Now my daughter in the last 4 months has changed to more of the I/R. I know her pitching coach is seeing it also. She is not correcting back to HE. I asked my daughter why she changed her finish. She says that it is easier to finish like this than with elbow out. I have seen videos here so I know it is I/R. I believe not sure the pitching coach started with HE so she would get the right spin and rotation of pitches and has let my daughter grow into I/R. Her speed is much quicker now with new finish. Am I totally wrong with my thinking that the pitching coach started one way to get right release and spin then let the natural feeling of I/R to come with age?

Sep 29, 2014
They just teach that way because it is all they have ever known. It kind off like listening to someone teach "squish the bug" they don't mean to be wrong it's just all they have ever known.

Simply continue to watch hi quality slo mo video of good pitchers and see what they all have in common they each have their own style but they also each have the basic mechanics about the same and the reason is simply because it is the most effective and efficient way to pitch the ball.

Feb 20, 2015
illinois
Sounds like you have a good coach hes asking questions. Atleast your coach isnt barking at your DD every pitch saying 'Finish here! Finish here!" While doing the HE motion.

God that brings back nightmare memories.....dd had a coach for 12u team that yelled at all the pitchers REPEATEDLY "finish at your face, finish at your face"

Drove me nuts!

Ken Krause

Administrator
Admin
May 7, 2008
Mundelein, IL
People certainly have a lot to say about a lot. Seems like the less they know the louder and more adamantly they like to say it.

I doubt the PC taught HE as a way of doing anything except teaching HE. That said, he's clearly smart enough to recognize success when he sees it, and to not insist on arbitrary movements just because he is the PC. Or maybe he's learned more in the last year too. Either way it's a good thing for you. As a general rule, once you start down the path of the dark side of HE, forever will it rule your destiny.

Apr 12, 2015
People certainly have a lot to say about a lot. Seems like the less they know the louder and more adamantly they like to say it.

It is a recognized fact: Dunning-Kruger effect

....occurs where people fail to adequately assess their level of competence — or specifically, their incompetence — at a task and thus consider themselves much more competent than everyone else. This lack of awareness is attributed to their lower level of competence robbing them of the ability to critically analyse their performance, leading to a significant overestimate of themselves.
In simple words it's "people who are too stupid to know how stupid they are".

Oct 10, 2011
Pacific Northwest
I would simply say "It is because that is how all the best pitchers throw the ball". If he says but so and so "said", I would simply reply "I'm teacher her what they do not what they say"

It is absolutely hilarious to me that given all the technology and evidence to the contrary everyone still applies the Jennie Finch method...do one thing and teach another then while demonstrating exaggerate something a second after you have completely released the ball to make it seem like your teaching was correct.

This is why I love listening to Amanda Scarborough she has really taken to heart studying exactly what she is doing so she can relate to others and once she found out it was not exactly the same as she had been told or what she was telling others she simply changed what she was saying; obviously she was not going to change how she pitched the ball so she just better explained what she could now see was actually happening

Because we are trying to improve our pitchers at a younger age

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06