Closing ceremonies

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

WARRIORMIKE

Pro-Staff Everything
Oct 5, 2009
At the Jewel in San Diego
Well today was thought to be an exciting day. Girls getting the trophies, and seeing the smiles on there faces. Well after I stood up at the PA and thanked my sponsor and my team, I forgot to say thanks to my coaches. Which I totally spaced up there and honestly forgot. :confused: Well my sponsor comes up to me after it was done, who his son is one of my coaches and says "hey man you didn't even mention the coaches, that's not right" I let him know I honestly forgot and said yes I do appreciate that they were there. I guess that was not good enough, cause he said but yea you should have announced over the PA. Well I really didn't think to much about it, till later when I get a phone call from my girl coach's dad?? He start ranting and raving that I'm a jerk and who in the F*** do I think I am. Then he got mad cause I took a pic of his daughter/coach at closing ceremonies. I was like dude, I took a pic of all the girls for memory sake. Well he didn't care and then threaten me that his "son" is going to kick my rear and blah, blah, blah?? :confused:

Question is has anyone ever forgotten to mention your coaches or team moms/wifes for there help. If so what were the consequences? lol

Mar 13, 2010
My senior club A grade team had a tradition that the youngest or newest person on the team had to give the thank you speech after the GF. The year I joined so did my best friend, but since I was youngest I had to do it. I thanked everyone I could think of such as the umpires, the scorers, spectators, the bat girl, president of our club and so on/

Two I forgot to thank? The other team and our coach. Who was my mother.

Only consequence (we'd all known and played each other for years. Some girls in the oppisition team I'd played every year in the GF for the previous seven years!) were a very funny speech from the oppisition who thanked me, personally profusely. (Without Lauren, none of us would be here. We all love her very much. Her home run was brilliant. She did a great job on first. No other player matters. The rest of my team didn't get thanked either. Most people were in tears from laughing) I also got 'forced' to do shots. My parents and grandparents thought they were water shots. They figured out very quickly that someone had substituted it. My mother was a bit shirty but when the team speech (done by my best friend) was done at the presentation, she arranged for the men's A grade to help serenade my mum.

Man, I miss that club :)

Honestly, those people are losers.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
How old were these coaches? Since you had two calls from parents of the coaches, I assume that you had a couple of teens helping you coach. Is that correct? Since they were passing out trophies, did you team win the league or something like that?

The actions of the coaches' parents were ridiculous. But, it sounds like you are missing the bigger issue.

Well I really didn't think to much about it,

Perhaps you need to think some more about this.

You look like a total jackass. Whether the coaches should or should not be upset is not really the issue--they *ARE* upset. These people volunteered their time and energy, and they feel like you slapped them in the face. You need to make it right.

Last edited:
Jul 9, 2009
IL
I'd go another direction.

If a coach is in it to get personal recognition, the quicker they get irritated and get out, the better.

Did they think you just won an Oscar?

Last edited:
Nov 1, 2008
How should he go about making it right? He apologized. Speaking in front of others makes most people nervous, an omission in a situation like that should be taken with a grain of salt. If somebody can't immediately forgive somebody for an unintended, MINOR mistake there is something wrong with them. If it happened to me, I wouldn't be angry......I'd probably tease them about it for awhile but to take it as a slap in the face is a little pretentious IMO.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
The actions of the coaches' parents were ridiculous. But, it sounds like you are missing the bigger issue.

You look like a total jackass. Whether the coaches should or should not be upset is not really the issue--they *ARE* upset. These people volunteered their time and energy, and they feel like you slapped them in the face. You need to make it right.

agree with this.

Being an older assistant coach, I would not care. On the other hand if my DD was the assistant coach and was not “properly” thanked I would be upset regardless of how she felt about it.

Last edited:
May 7, 2008
Tucson
Well, I don't know what he should have done about the admission, but when they read his post this AM, they will really be upset.

Jul 16, 2008
Oregon
Geez, ok so the kids knew who the coaches were, the parents knew who the coaches were, the sponsor knew who the coaches were, just who were they expecting to get recognized from?

Aug 23, 2010
Florida
In the tech world we live in today, maybe you can send out a mass email to the team. You can't turn the clock back, but a well worded apology and sincere thank you to everyone may help diffuse the situation.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Anytime a HC makes a sponsor upset, the HC has made a mistake. This is simply, "The customer is always right." It is hard to find sponsors.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TaraLynn0207