Closing ceremonies

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

WARRIORMIKE

Pro-Staff Everything
Oct 5, 2009
At the Jewel in San Diego
How old were these coaches? Since you had two calls from parents of the coaches, I assume that you had a couple of teens helping you coach. Is that correct? Since they were passing out trophies, did you team win the league or something like that?

The actions of the coaches' parents were ridiculous. But, it sounds like you are missing the bigger issue.

Perhaps you need to think some more about this.

You look like a total jackass. Whether the coaches should or should not be upset is not really the issue--they *ARE* upset. These people volunteered their time and energy, and they feel like you slapped them in the face. You need to make it right.

Ray,

I always thanked my coaches year round. I even took them out to Buffalo Wild Wings (dinner at a restaurant) and even said thanks to them at our last game in front of all the parents. Even at practices I would let them know how appreciated I was of them to there faces. I just simply forgot at closing ceremonies. My wife who is my team mom wanted me to make sure I said thanks to our sponsor and that was on my mind the whole time I was walking up there. I volunteer my time and efforts with my softball program. I am the Vice President of softball for my league. This year we grew our program from 2 teams to 5 softball teams for our little league. So with all that going up there and giving praise to the girls. I just forgot. Like I said I did a lot for my team and coaches. Especially my coaches to make them feel appreciated. Even though twice they left me hanging by myself for two games where I had to run the team at our tourney games I still said thanks, just not over the PA.

Ray I'm not sure what direction you are trying to go with your remark but I have put in a lot more time and energy to my program than anyone else has and I never get a thank you?? Not even from my girls or parents???

Jun 18, 2010
Not exactly closing ceremonies, but at last year's end of season party I gave a little speech thanking the parents, the girls who played, and the assistant coaches. As I handed out the trophies to the girls and said a few words about them and how they played and improvements they had made. I was a little nervous and I was only speaking in front of about 50 parents, players and family. I forgot to thank the most important, supportive person on the team... my wife. She manages the team, handles the scheduling, uniforms, communication with the league office... basically all of the non-fun stuff. I still feel horrible about forgetting to thank her publicly.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Mike, you are the leader of the team. You are the role model--that is what you signed up for. So, you have a higher standard than anyone else.

You gave a speech. You made a mistake. Everyone makes mistakes. Because of the speech, you made some people became angry. Simply because the parents of the AC's acted stupidly doesn't let you off the hook. Call the ACs up and apologize.

Come on, this is Golden Rule stuff: Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.

Ray I'm not sure what direction you are trying to go with your remark but I have put in a lot more time and energy to my program than anyone else has and I never get a thank you?? Not even from my girls or parents???

You do deserve their thanks. But, if you think someone is going to thank you for coaching a softball team, you are crazy.

Parents believes that it is coach's privilege to have their little bundle of love on the team. So, as far as they are concerned, you should be thanking them.

Last edited:
May 25, 2010
I'd go another direction.

If a coach is in it to get personal recognition, the quicker they get irritated and get out, the better.

Did they think you just won an Oscar?

I couldn't agree more. This is one of those rare occasions when Sluggers isn't right. ;) Thank-you omissions generally aren't deliberate.

Either the coaches were part of the team - which was thanked - or they weren't.

Sep 3, 2009
You do deserve their thanks. But, if you think someone is going to thank you for coaching a softball team, you are crazy.

I guess this is a bit confusing... someone who deserves thanks, but doesn't expect it, and doesn't get it, that's ok. But someone who deserves it, and EXPECTS it, but doesn't get it, that's a wrong and deserving of an apology (which he said he did) ???

If I was the HC, I'd do a little house cleaning after season's end, and find some AC's who get their thanks from seeing the team improve and do well, and don't feel entitled to 'atta-boys' and having their name called out.

Nov 1, 2008
I don't specifically remember being thanked for coaching the last few years, but when the girls go out of their way to say hello at other school events and ask excitedly if I'm coaching next year, it lets me know that the ones that matter appreciate it.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clawdog