Clock

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
In our huddle last night on the mound we discussed where we were going to go afterwords for ice cream. There was also a brief discussion on if the they sold Skittles at the concession stand. I concluded with throwing out the runner on 1rst that was going to steal 2nd on the next pitch (runner on third, two outs).

We got the runner and solved some other nagging issues (ice cream and Skittles).

Take that Mr. Umpire!

You are missing the point. The umpire doesn't care, it is YOUR time that you are wasting which is what often necessitates the clock. If you want to waste my time, I'll just find another game to umpire the next time.

I don't like the clocks, but they serve a specific purpose that has been caused often by those who complain about them.

May 17, 2012
You are missing the point. The umpire doesn't care, it is YOUR time that you are wasting which is what often necessitates the clock. If you want to waste my time, I'll just find another game to umpire the next time.

I don't like the clocks, but they serve a specific purpose that has been caused often by those who complain about them.

I actually agree with you, I was just having some fun (although that mound visit did in fact happen they way I described it).

I have only visited the mound 3 times in seven tournaments this year. If they can't figure it out then we have done a poor job in preparing them in practice.

Mar 2, 2013
not sure what you are talking violating rules unless you are referring to steeping of the bag, again the on;y reason you are doing that is because the clock has arbitrarily said you don't get another inning to try and come back, well if i can give myself another innings and give the girls a chance why not.

you aren't supposed to teach players to violate rules. You are supposed to teach them to obey them. It is irresponsible for an adult to teach a kid to disobey rules, let alone to do it purposefully. You shouldn't teach kids that it is okay to violate rules just because they may get a benefit from it. It's wrong!

Jul 6, 2013
Well, we have been in situations, that I am sure everyone here has where you are up by 10 in a pool game, and you get runners off early to get the other team a chance at the plate. Is that irresponsible? Ive been on both sides of it. Never seen an issue with it in either case. Why would it be OK there, but not when you are using it to your advantage?

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
you aren't supposed to teach players to violate rules. You are supposed to teach them to obey them. It is irresponsible for an adult to teach a kid to disobey rules, let alone to do it purposefully. You shouldn't teach kids that it is okay to violate rules just because they may get a benefit from it. It's wrong!

Say the umpire's strike zone doesn't exactly match the rule book definition. Should you advise hitters to take rule book balls that the umpire is consistently calling strikes or swing at rule book strikes that are consistently called balls? Do you advise the pitcher to not throw the ball over the plate because the umpire is calling strikes in the gutter between the plate and opposite batter's box?

IMO, you should be teaching the kids to understand the game so that they can read and adapt to game situations.

Jun 1, 2013

Teaching them the rules of the game and how to work within the confines of the game to help secure a win is not unethical. Teaching them to lose without using all their skill and knowledge of the game is. Is it ethical to sacrifice a pawn to get a check mate? Is it ethical to spike a ball because you are out of time outs? How about running out of bounds to stop a clock? No, it's not. It is knowing the game and using what you know to your advantage.

Last edited:
Well I was going to say something but looks like I have more than enough people that if not agree with my point of view can at least sympathize...again if the system/tournament is going to make arbitrary rules that are not part of the game (time limits) they have to also understand the rule of unintended consequences.

It does make me a little sad because my dad taught me the baseball was a game without a clock and you were always capable of coming back as long as the other team has not got the last out, which of course with time limits and run rules is no longer the case :( .

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
Well I was going to say something but looks like I have more than enough people that if not agree with my point of view can at least sympathize...again if the system/tournament is going to make arbitrary rules that are not part of the game (time limits) they have to also understand the rule of unintended consequences.

It does make me a little sad because my dad taught me the baseball was a game without a clock and you were always capable of coming back as long as the other team has not got the last out, which of course with time limits and run rules is no longer the case :( .

One good thing about HS SB is that time limits do not come into play. And, if you can get to the TB championship game, there are no time limits!

Oct 25, 2009
Imagine a basketball game where time outs aren't timed.

Time limits in softball suck! Even more so when the clock can't be stopped!

Mar 2, 2013
Hi honey. How was the game?

Great. I told a player to deliberate violate a rule so we had a chance to win.

Seems like the same people who take pride in yelling at girls post-play rather than coaching them pre-play like to train them to cheat.

Win at all cost. Welcome to America. Land of the free, home of the cheaters.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SecOnd in Comand