Clock

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 22, 2008
Have no idea about pony, it is probably a local tournament director decision. I can tell you locally the clock only stops for injuries which cannot be readily taken care of on the field and outside assistance needs to be called, or if there is a protest or the UIC has to be summoned to a field. Otherwise the clock runs.

I do PONY here in Texas also and never really heard of the clock stopping....I guess as comp said if you had something out of the ordinary but the clock just keeps running until times is up. Flipped through the rule book and did not see anything except once a game starts it must be played to the end, 80 minutes or more for a qualifying game...followed by all the what if scenarios ending with coin flips etc.

May 30, 2011
This is something that bugs me about timed games.. since the official rule books usually don't address a game clock it is something added by the local league or state adoption or some such.. and it is usually a one sentence rule like "No new inning will start after ninety minutes unless the score is tied." So if you follow it to the letter if a player gets smacked in the face by a line shot and the game stops while we wait for EMS to come get her the game might be over after the first or second inning.

I generally stop the game clock for injuries, lengthy official time outs like a scorebook problem, weather delays, or as I had a couple of weeks ago at a mens slow pitch tournament.. a moose wandering on the field. But there is nothing in writing that supports it.

I also dislike the tendency of teams to try to "manage the clock" in softball.. making intentional outs to end the inning in time to start the next one or taking time outs to try to reach the time limit before the inning ends.

This is something that bugs me about timed games.. since the official rule books usually don't address a game clock it is something added by the local league or state adoption or some such.. and it is usually a one sentence rule like "No new inning will start after ninety minutes unless the score is tied." So if you follow it to the letter if a player gets smacked in the face by a line shot and the game stops while we wait for EMS to come get her the game might be over after the first or second inning.

I generally stop the game clock for injuries, lengthy official time outs like a scorebook problem, weather delays, or as I had a couple of weeks ago at a mens slow pitch tournament.. a moose wandering on the field. But there is nothing in writing that supports it.

I also dislike the tendency of teams to try to "manage the clock" in softball.. making intentional outs to end the inning in time to start the next one or taking time outs to try to reach the time limit before the inning ends.

This bit us more than once this year and it does really get to me but there is simply not much you can do....as a coach you simply would not be doing you job if you did not take a hard fought victory if it is being handed to you. In league play we have actually played out innings so girls who had not batted could get their at bat, but of course those are when the game is not in doubt

May 30, 2011
This bit us more than once this year and it does really get to me but there is simply not much you can do....as a coach you simply would not be doing you job if you did not take a hard fought victory if it is being handed to you. In league play we have actually played out innings so girls who had not batted could get their at bat, but of course those are when the game is not in doubt

I understand if the rule is there you have to play with it. I just try to be consistent with how I handle time throughout the game. If a defensive coach has a conference left and decides to take it, I grant it. I give the same time I would have given him in the first inning. If offense makes a sub, I go thru the exact same routine on my lineup card and notifying the scorekeeper and opposing team as any other time. When time expires, time expires.

Still if home is ahead by one and at bat in the bottom of the sixth inning with one minute left qnd two out and the home coach calls for an offensive conference with the batter which uses up 45 secs then the batter puts her bat on her shoulder and watches two pitches go by then time expires and the game ends with home the winner.. well it leaves a bad taste in my mouth. And a run on sentence in this post apparently...:)

I think at HS varsity level we should just play seven innings or run rule, but not time limits. JV games, summer development and rec leagues, etc. time limits help manage getting all the games in so perhaps it has a place there. JMHO.

Last edited:
Jun 22, 2008
You know there is a rule that any action to hasten or delay a game is forfietable. I have been more than tempted to use it a few times, but, the UIC told me if I did he wanted to know first so he could leave the complex first.

Mar 2, 2013
As a PONY umpire, I am sure that you have read the PONY Umpire Manual so that you can be prepared to work the proper mechanics and employ the proper procedures for PONY softball games, as you would for any other sanctioned organization.

With that said, flip to page 7 of the 2013 PONY FASTPITCH SOFTBALL UMPIRE MANUAL. Different zones within PONY may handle clock issues differently.

Texas is the South Zone. I work for East Zone. In East Zone the clock doesn't stop for injuries unless the player can't be moved from the field. In other words, she's immobile and will need either medical assistance or a substantial delay before she can be aided off the field.

"Each Zone will decide who will handle protests. If those that are to handle the protest are not near by, then the clock will be stopped until they arrive. Upon their arrival, the clock will restart. However, if you believe that the winning coach is protesting the game deliberately to waste time and that team loses the protest, the time wasted during the protest should be added back to the clock."

Jan 22, 2013
So Cal
Personally I prefer the "no new" time limit without the "drop dead".

We had a game in which we were the home team and the written rules of the tournament stated a "no new" and "drop dead" time. We were ahead, but after the "no new" fell behind and I credit the other team for getting ahead and hated the fact that the game would revert. At the drop dead time I informed the umpire that time had expired. He looked puzzled and I showed him the written rule. The umpire claimed in the pregame meeting he had said to the two team managers (I'm assistant) that there was no drop dead. Our manager didn't remember hearing that. With this the umpire went to the tournament officials who said whatever you said to the umpire.

Of course the whole time each team is trying to work the clock to speed up or slow down the game.

Jun 24, 2013

I have several times gotten a girl out on purpose so we could begin the next inning, especially in rec ball with run-limited innings. I understand it is not a guaranteed win, but I want to give my girls the best opportunity they have. Win or lose at least they had the chance. I do use the get the girl out on purpose to start the next inning tactic, but not the huddle the girls to waste time tactic.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SecOnd in Comand