Cleats for Catchers?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 12, 2009
Kansas City
I got an email today asking me about cleats for catchers. I thought I would put it out here and see what is popular and why. This would be for a younger catcher. (Non-metallic) I haven't had to buy any for a while so I can only go off memory. When the DD got really serious about catching, we got her a pair of Ringors. We thought the durability Ringor offers would be great for catching. What we didn't realize was just how heavy the shoe was. After wearing them for about a season and a half, (She still wore holes in them!) DD went with Mizunos. They actually held up very well and she loved the lighter feel. She could "run faster and jump higher" (or she thought she could)

What is popular with your catcher?

Jan 27, 2010
NJ
DD is on her first pair of Ringors after wearing boys cleats for the last 5 years. They are heavy but she seems to like them for comfort. She doesn't appear to have lost a step in them. She did point out a couple of gouges in the toe area but not to bad.

I think my DD's favorite cleats are whatever I buy her. And that is usually whatever I can find for a good price. Right now she wears Ringors,but in the recent past she's had Boombah and Tanel. The Tanels wore out a little bit faster than I would have liked,but I got them for a good price. If you,or anybody you know are looking to buy Ringors be sure to check out the 'Special Offers" at the bottom of their website first.

Apr 1, 2010
DD is wearing Asics Men's Gel-V Cut Field Shoes. I think they are actually for Field Hockey and/or Lacrosse. I switched her to them when she had heel and ankle problems last year, because I had read that the Asics gels were great at lessening shock for people who had foot pain. They have held up well, are pretty light-weight and seem very comfortable for her. I did notice that she was sliding around a bit while batting in mud this weekend--baseball/softball cleats might have done a slightly better job in those conditions. What worries me is that I think Asics isn't making these anymore--not sure what we'll move on to.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
Most catchers I know are not that "fleet of foot" away, so wearing Ringors is probably not going to dramatically increase their home to first time......

Jan 20, 2011
DD is a big fan of the Ringor for the comfort. No arch or foot pain at all, this could be attributed to the cleat pattern. I love them because they are the most durable shoe she has ever worn, on the field or off. Like it was stated above, as a catcher DD is not the fleetest of foot, she looks to the dugout for the courtesy runner once she gets on base, so the little extra weight of the shoe hasn't been a problem.

She outgrows these shoes far before they outlive their usefulness. A younger girl within our organization loves when DD outgrows her gear, she knows she's getting some hand-me-downs.

Apr 14, 2011
Glad to see some of the responses...I've been thinking about getting DD some turf shoes but wasn't sure how they would affect her catching - she's always worn cleats.

Apr 1, 2010
AngelsFan, DD used to have a pair of Asics Gel-V Turf shoes (1/2 size smaller than her current size). They seemed to work fine and she was also able to wear them inside. I wish I had been able to find another pair when she outgrew those!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles