Classless or part of the Game?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 4, 2014
So Cal
funny how a few of the people posting here have a general problem with the cheering... even questioning why its ok to ask a girl to smile... I see a softball dugout and what I see is a bunch of girls having a blast and having fun! I look at a baseball dugout and all I see are a bunch of bored slobs spitting, crotch scratching, and in general just sitting there trying to figure out what to do... you tell me whats more annoying? (and yes I agree the jeering is bushleague and uncalled for, right there with noise makers, etc.. )

As a coach personally I could live without the screaming in my ear but its not about ME as a coach - its about the players, their game and their FUN! if going a little deaf is the price to pay for having the honor to participate in this sport with them so be it... for those of you trying to make it look like a baseball dugout: put a smile in your face!

May 4, 2014
So Cal
No boys team anywhere would have to sing and cheer to prove they are engaged in the game. Are they watching, are they supporting their team mates? Are they prepared to play? The rest is unrequired

They arent boys why are you insisting on comparing them to boys?

Jul 3, 2013
They arent boys why are you insisting on comparing them to boys?
The point: Why are there different standards for boys and girls? Do girls have to cheer and jump and down to prove they're having fun? Why can't they just play the game and give high fives for a homerun or a great play like the boys?

Another more obvious example of the double standard.

A ball player throws their helmet in the dugout after a strike out.

Girl- she's a cancer on the team, can't have that attitude in the dugout.
Boy- he's a fiery competitor that won't settle for failure.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
The point: Why are there different standards for boys and girls? Do girls have to cheer and jump and down to prove they're having fun? Why can't they just play the game and give high fives for a homerun or a great play like the boys?

I have never thought the bold above. I'd think that this young man was a cancer.

May 4, 2014
So Cal

I get where you're going but the problem is you're trying to keep them to the same behavior not standards

We need to hold them to the same standards. how they reflect those standards will be different between boys and girls which mean I expect different behavior doesn't make it wrong or right

Teamwork, sportsmanship, having fun, work ethic, pushing yourself to be the best - those standards don't change and they should be held to them regardless of gender

A boy throwing his helmet is a frigin cancer and a sign of a spoiled brat who can't handle adversity - not of a fiery competitor - that's like excusing a girl for doing the same because they are "moody" - I agree with you that either of those excuses are just lousy bias on the part of the coach/parent

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jul 3, 2013
I get where you're going but the problem is you're trying to keep them to the same behavior not standards

We need to hold them to the same standards. how they reflect those standards will be different between boys and girls which mean I expect different behavior doesn't make it wrong or right

Teamwork, sportsmanship, having fun, work ethic, pushing yourself to be the best - those standards don't change and they should be held to them regardless of gender

A boy throwing his helmet is a frigin cancer and a sign of a spoiled brat who can't handle adversity - not of a fiery competitor - that's like excusing a girl for doing the same because they are "moody" - I agree with you that either of those excuses are just lousy bias on the part of the coach/parent

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Again, why do girls have to smile, jump up and down, and cheer to prove they're having fun?

Jul 3, 2013
This specific example is only one asst coach and his double standard, but my DD has seen many tantrums by her school's baseball team and their opponents. Her softball asst coach is also a baseball asst coach. My DD is a student manager for the baseball team.
A boy struck out, refused any high fives, fist bumps, or get em next times. Then slams his helmet and screams fudge!! loud enough for everyone in the stands to hear. Not one coach said anything to him. No mention of it after the game. Nobody ran poles because of it.

During softball season, a girl struck out during a jv game and ran back to the bench with her head down and went and pouted. Coach pulled her from the game and everyone ran poles the next day in practice because of it.

softgabby

Gear Empress
Mar 10, 2016
Just behind home plate
I can speak from my experience as a player. My teammates and I we will sing, cheer, use props and all of the other stuff in our dugout. We never do it to the point of being obnoxious or annoying. We never raise the volume of our antics when the opposing pitcher is about to throw the ball. We never hit the roof of the dugout with bats and balls. Granted we will use our batting helmets or we will use the small megaphones as noisemakers by clapping them together. For instance, we were in a tournament at the Virginia Shore over the summer. As a team, we went out and bought sombereros to wear as rally caps. Our coaches knew we were just having fun. They will however step in if we are getting too rowdy or we are starting to get to a point where we are about to cross a line.

I'll tell a story that happened over Labor Day weekend. A couple of teammates and I had just had cheer the night before for our high school football team's season opener on the road (which we lost). We wanted to just get out and play some softball on Saturday morning. We won our first game 9-7 and was in the midst of playing our second game. Our second game was in the top of the third and we were winning 4-3. Our new pitcher was having some confidence issues as she wasn't sure of herself, but...she was starting to find her groove. Our opponent's cheering and noisemaking wasn't bothering us. But starting in that inning, a father of one of the opposing players started blowing a air horn when our pitcher was about to pitch or when we were at bat and we were getting ready to swing. It got really annoying and it got to the point that our coach complained and he's not a complainer. Ultimately, the dad was kicked out...but we lost 9-7.

I guess parents can be more annoying than the girls in the dugout.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
I agree with you. But this is accepted behavior in baseball, at almost every level.

I have a lot to do with baseball. In fact, I run in a pretty big baseball circle and don't believe the people I deal with would accept it as well. Of course this is a huge country.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi