Classless or part of the Game?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 27, 2017
That teams that engage in this low class kind of behavior are total crap.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

so Texas A&M softball is total crap? and you wouldn't let your daughter play for this D1 school? because they do the Ball 4 cheer?

Jun 12, 2015
so Texas A&M softball is total crap? and you wouldn't let your daughter play for this D1 school? because they do the Ball 4 cheer?
You are the only one who's said the teams are total crap. It's like you're arguing with yourself.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

Feb 4, 2015
Massachusetts
I have no problem with them banging on the dugout, or cheering. But we don't get louder when she goes to release the ball. We stay loud throughout the game. We have done a few Ahh Choo. But I cut that out real quick. some teams bang on ball buckets like drums, i've got no problem with that either. I coach my team, I don't worry or care what the other teams do.

From your original post,
"Coach said it's NOT OK to scream at a pitcher as she delivers the ball, or beat on a metal roof of the dugout with balls and bats to "intimidate" the pitcher and players. I see nothing wrong with this at all. "

Jun 11, 2013
This thread needs to be placed in some sort of special section. I don't think there has ever been one where everyone basically agreed.

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
I agree with most of the posters, but I think there is a disconnect, maybe from my OP. I agree with the Cheers not for your team. My thing is that I want my girls to be engaged with the game and what is happening. We sing while we bat, now they do say the cheer about killing the birdie, but i may change my stance on that cheer. Seems like several coaches this "pisses off" . Which if it takes away your thoughts , from coaching, maybe you as a coach, need to work on how to focus more on the game, and not let "distractions" play into it. JMO

If a coach or a player is distracted by the immature behavior of the other team, then that is something they should work on. Personally, while I am fine with cheering, I would not tolerate most of the other stuff discussed in this thread by any player on a team I coach (or from the parents in the stands). If a team playing against us would like to utilize bush league tactics because they don't think they have a chance of beating us otherwise, so be it. When the game is over, I will shake that coaches hand just as I would any other. But the smile on my face may be just a little bit bigger once we win ;)

Jun 12, 2015
Playing those teams is a great opportunity for the girls to work on acquiring a thicker skin for sure.

Nov 18, 2013
Banging on buckets, fences or anything else have been considered noisemakers and stopped by most of the umpires in games I’ve been at. Yelling and cheering is fair game unless it gets vulgar. The “ball four, ball five, ball six” cheers are common in college. I got a kick out of the ones that did “ball eighty-seven, ball eighty-eight…” in reference to the pitchers walks on the year.

The distraction technique I find most annoying are pitchers who use the Monica Seles delayed grunt. My favorite and most creative was at Louisiana-Lafayette where fans would try to engage players by looking up their Facebook accounts and saying nice things about their pictures or posts. Very sweet and very clever.

May 6, 2015
Cheers and chants are one thing, as long as they do not change in intensity/volume/pitch/rythym during the actual pitch, or when someone is making play in the field. and cheering/yelling/screaming while play is going on, as long as not directed at other team, is great. I am one of the loudest, but I am simply cheering/encouraging, always directed at our girls.

we ran into situation this year in rec, 14u, where opposition parents (sitting along 1B line past dugout) were making comments, some really inappropriate, about out girls, specifically, 1B and 2B. not at our girls, but our girls could hear it, one inning 1B refused to leave dugout until our coach addressed it with their coach. same team had one of their players (DD of one of the parents doing this) saying stuff like "gonna punch you in the throat" during handshake line. parents of 1B and this parent almost had a physical altercation in parking lot (of course visiting parent had to walk AWAY from their car parked in completely separate parking lot towards our parent , but insisted they were not egging the situation on). why do parents have to be such arse cavities? let the girls play. this was rec ball, just trying to give the girls something positive and fun to do, rather than stare at phones and whatever other trouble 13 yr old girls can get into.

Cheer, do not intentially distract.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi