Choosing DD’s Position.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
I totally agree with Pattar. With that said, the OP should have his DD play Catcher. They get more attention and more scholarship monies that every other fielder except a shut down pitcher. Almost every very kid who plays in college was probably the best SS on their 10U team. When I realized when my DD was playing SS and only touched the ball a few times a game and my catchers weren't getting the job done, she became a catcher. Catchers are involved in so many aspects of the game and are really the commanders of the field.

Jun 8, 2016
I totally agree with Pattar. With that said, the OP should have his DD play Catcher. They get more attention and more scholarship monies that every other fielder except a shut down pitcher. Almost every very kid who plays in college was probably the best SS on their 10U team. When I realized when my DD was playing SS and only touched the ball a few times a game and my catchers weren't getting the job done, she became a catcher. Catchers are involved in so many aspects of the game and are really the commanders of the field.
Agree 100%. Pitchers and catchers control the game and if you want your kid to have the best chance of playing in college a) have her pitch or b) have her catch. That said from looking at her parents, my DD is likely going to be built like Brianna Perez when she gets to that age..

thumbnail_IMG_2094.jpg

She wouldn't last 2 innings behind the plate and Dad would have a stroke before she was 11 if she pitched so she has been nice enough to not show any interest in pitching :LOL:

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2016
Shouldn't the answer be to play her where she wants to play?
That is a great answer.... :). With my kid there was some bias involved as she knew I played SS..I also whispered to her in her sleep about how horrible pitching was so there is that too... :LOL:

Jul 29, 2013
North Carolina
Outfield and middle infield. Outfield benefits from outright speed, middle infield benefits from quickness.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Agreed, on our 18U National team we have a rising senior that plays CF, she's 5'1", 5'2" and might weight 100 lbs? This girl is so much fun to watch, I'm still waiting to see her get burnt, she's stupid fast on another level!

May 29, 2019
What she is doing at age 9 has absolutely zero bearing on what she will be doing in 12U, 14U, 16U, let alone college. Don't be "that guy" that thinks they are going to groom a 9 year old into being a stud college SS. It doesn't work that way.

With that being said, colleges look for pitchers and "offensive threats". It doesn't matter how good a girl is defensively, if she don't hit, she don't play.

Jun 8, 2016
What she is doing at age 9 has absolutely zero bearing on what she will be doing in 12U, 14U, 16U, let alone college. Don't be "that guy" that thinks they are going to groom a 9 year old into being a stud college SS. It doesn't work that way.
Agree with that but it is probably also true that a stud college SS was a stud SS at 9 (or at least by 12U)..It is ok for people
to be rational and level headed about things, and learning to play all positions is good for everybody, but if you were to poll P5 SS (e.g. "stud") by 12U I would guess at least 90% of them would have had SS as their primary position..Playing SS takes a special skillset that takes years to develop. Footwork, when to backhand the ball so that you are in the best position to throw, what to do with balls up the middle (do you turn glove side to throw or not), what angles to take, throwing from different arm slots, etc.,etc.

Last edited:
Oct 4, 2018
What is the best position to try to train a girl in that is small/medium size and athletic. I feel I can train her for any position and she would be one of the best at that position. What do I try to lean her towards? Of course, at age of 9, I want her learning a little about all but....

Spoken like all parents.

For the record, my daughter is our best catcher and best SS. ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nate321