Choosing DD’s Position.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 19, 2019
What is the best position to try to train a girl in that is small/medium size and athletic. I feel I can train her for any position and she would be one of the best at that position. What do I try to lean her towards? Of course, at age of 9, I want her learning a little about all but....

Apr 30, 2018
Outfield and middle infield. Outfield benefits from outright speed, middle infield benefits from quickness.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Apr 5, 2013
Back on the dirt...
What is the best position to try to train a girl in that is small/medium size and athletic. I feel I can train her for any position and she would be one of the best at that position. What do I try to lean her towards? Of course, at age of 9, I want her learning a little about all but....
Give her opportunities everywhere. If she is athletic, you can put her anywhere and she will excel.

Also, level of play matters. I do agree with the above post about MI and OF but would focus on CF if fast compared to teammates.

Are you asking as a parent or coach?

Jan 27, 2010
NJ
At age 9 very few balls are hit to the OF with a chance of an out. Put her at 2nd, SS or 3rd if she has the arm. If she has the best glove put her at first. That is where most of your outs will be made.

Jun 11, 2013
At 9 just worry about fundamentals. Her position will find her. Solid mechanics on throwing, ground balls and tracking balls. If you can only play one position you will find a team someday that has someone better at it and she'll be in trouble.

Jun 19, 2019
Give her opportunities everywhere. If she is athletic, you can put her anywhere and she will excel.

Also, level of play matters. I do agree with the above post about MI and OF but would focus on CF if fast compared to teammates.

Are you asking as a parent or coach?
Both

Jun 12, 2015
IMO they should be rotating a lot at 9. What 9 year old knows what position they want to be locked into forever? Mine was a pitcher at 9, and she was good at. Everyone who knew her was shocked when she gave it up this year and is focusing on SS (she's 12 now). You just never know.

Jun 19, 2019
IMO they should be rotating a lot at 9. What 9 year old knows what position they want to be locked into forever? Mine was a pitcher at 9, and she was good at. Everyone who knew her was shocked when she gave it up this year and is focusing on SS (she's 12 now). You just never know.
I understand but at same time I want to know which position would be most important for her with wanting to make it to college. It will most likely be MI or OF, so wondering if we are to work on one more than other, which way best for a athletic girl.

Jun 12, 2015
I understand but at same time I want to know which position would be most important for her with wanting to make it to college. It will most likely be MI or OF, so wondering if we are to work on one more than other, which way best for a athletic girl.

She's 9. You have no way of knowing what position will be best for her or if she'll be good enough for college or have any desire to play there. You don't know if she'll stay small, or what she'll love. I'd be focused on fundamentals. That's what DH always did with ours, and she can play any position on the field but P/C. Fundamentals + game IQ.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IBSoftballDad619