choke up

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
I bet I choked up on a bat for 30 years, then, I realized that I might as well buy a bat that fits me (after whacking that boney part of my wrist with the knob of the bat, more than once.)

I think that it changes the weight that I am swinging if I choke up. Now, I use the entire bat.

In some organizations, adding anything to the bat - like a knob cuff or a choke ring, is illegal.

Hitter

Banned
Dec 6, 2009
I bet I choked up on a bat for 30 years, then, I realized that I might as well buy a bat that fits me (after whacking that boney part of my wrist with the knob of the bat, more than once.)

I think that it changes the weight that I am swinging if I choke up. Now, I use the entire bat.

In some organizations, adding anything to the bat - like a knob cuff or a choke ring, is illegal.

Amy

Choke up on the bat and come to point of contact and ask someone to gently try and push on the end of the bat and see if you can hold them from pushing the bat rearward.

You will not be able to hold them and can see the bat move probably 4 to 6 inches rearward.

Now allow the knob to be tucked into the lead hand and try it again. You will feel you are able to resit the movement rear ward.

Hold the bat in the top hand back in the hand all the way and you will not be able to resit until the bat moves about 6 to 8 inches.

Try to hold it in the finger pad of the top hand index finger so it looks like a hook and roll the hand/ wrist downward a little so the bat is in the front of the hand and you have the grip that you can resit with in my opinion.

Also try it with your head tracking the ball and then looking for will the ball will go and that makes a difference also. Stronger with the head down!

The Rocket tech knob is smaller and fits inside your hand better and gives you more leverage to hit with in my opinion. However because it is end loaded the kids choke up and defeat the purpose and give up power by doing it and without knowing why.

Thanks Howard

May 7, 2008
Tucson
Thanks Howard. I will do those exercises.

I got into slow pitch, last year, which is a whole different world in my opinion.

Anyway, that is where I started learning about the bat. The guys in slow pitch, work a lot on their grip and the tape on the handle. They put a cuff on the handle to create leverage. So, I learned to tape the handle with this taper thing going on and it seemed to make a positive impact on the distance that I can hit.

Many men even drop their little finger off the knob of the bat, to work on their leverage, too.

Hitter

Banned
Dec 6, 2009
Thanks Howard. I will do those exercises.

I got into slow pitch, last year, which is a whole different world in my opinion.

Anyway, that is where I started learning about the bat. The guys in slow pitch, work a lot on their grip and the tape on the handle. They put a cuff on the handle to create leverage. So, I learned to tape the handle with this taper thing going on and it seemed to make a positive impact on the distance that I can hit.

Many men even drop their little finger off the knob of the bat, to work on their leverage, too.

Amy

That is why showing the girls how to use a hammer is important to me as they feel the weight of the hammer head in their hand possibly for the first time and the wrist can hinge and release the barrel!

They can not modify the handle in fast pitch, to hang the little finger off comfortably although they can do it however it feels awkward to them.

This is why we teach the grip we do as we feel it gives them control of the bat by keeping it out of the back of the hand and provides more leverage at contact.

Many parents buy bats with the thought of growing into the bat and just say choke up!

Thanks Howard

Aug 4, 2008
Lexington,Ohio
I did a slow motion video of a girl chocking up on a RT and you could actually see the bat head come backwards at contact. I had her do what Howard posted and then filmed her again. She could see and feel the difference. She no longer chocks up now. No I will not post videos. I will let my buddy Gerry take the heat, . I don't have the time .

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SecOnd in Comand