How to make NCAA CWS more interesting

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
1. Make all Oklahoma batters bat left-handed.
2. Require Patty Gasso to speak French during games.
3. Make Oklahoma pitch from 2B.
4. OK catcher has to loudly announce the called pitch.
5. OK batters have to use wooden bats.
6. On defense, OK players, other than catcher and pitcher, have to start each pitch in dugout.
7. OK players not allowed to use gloves on defense.
8. Opposing team gets runs for reaching 2B.

Jul 5, 2016
It seems like there is a lot of talent flowing in to softball.

I imagine that for every good player who wants to play for Patty Gasso, I can find one who would love to dethrone OU.

And worthy of note is that but for a couple good hits, FSU could have won last night and Stanford might have won a game.

And, Clemson - well, credit to OU for never giving up, but surviving 2 outs, 2 strikes twice is unusual.

OU is really good, no question, but they are invincible. And they aren't forever.

Sep 22, 2021
Sioux Falls, SD
Stop hiring umps that don't know what the hell a strike zone is. That was some *** strike calls on the batters box chalk lines. Embarrasing. Call the damn strike zone properly!

Better stadium management, it's attrocious when you go... It's not organized very well on site and chaos line wise and flow management. Don't get me started on the weather delays and the ***

they pull when that takes place.

Actually do a Pre day world series fan fest the day before...stop sticking 12,000 fans in a small area with slow movements only two hours before first pitch. It all feels rushed and forced.

Up teams to 10, then give top two ranked a bye, and find a way to double up games so teams can't just rely on one pitcher to win it all.

Once again, for the love of god umpires. Call the actual strike zone correctly, AND illegal pitches "there were so many blatent ones that were just ignored" The ones that were called, were ignored and then called and then ignored again for the remainder.

Mayyyyyybe just maybe, when you know runs are limited and in high demand... Bunt players into scoring position so a base hit actually scores a run.

2 cents, got more, but we'll leave it there for now. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Sep 1, 2021
It seems like there is a lot of talent flowing in to softball.

I imagine that for every good player who wants to play for Patty Gasso, I can find one who would love to dethrone OU.

And worthy of note is that but for a couple good hits, FSU could have won last night and Stanford might have won a game.

And, Clemson - well, credit to OU for never giving up, but surviving 2 outs, 2 strikes twice is unusual.

OU is really good, no question, but they are invincible. And they aren't forever.

The transfer portal makes this complicated. If you're a great player and you want to win a National Championship prior to graduation, the surest way to do that is to transfer to Oklahoma. Patty would have first dibs on almost any player that was willing to leave their current team.

LEsoftballdad

DFP Vendor
Jun 29, 2021
NY
The transfer portal makes this complicated. If you're a great player and you want to win a National Championship prior to graduation, the surest way to do that is to transfer to Oklahoma. Patty would have first dibs on almost any player that was willing to leave their current team.
Yup. That's what happened with Alex Storako. She graduated from UM, and then decided she wanted to win a championship, so she got her master's degree from OU.

May 29, 2015
1. Make all Oklahoma batters bat left-handed.
2. Require Patty Gasso to speak French during games.
3. Make Oklahoma pitch from 2B.
4. OK catcher has to loudly announce the called pitch.
5. OK batters have to use wooden bats.
6. On defense, OK players, other than catcher and pitcher, have to start each pitch in dugout.
7. OK players not allowed to use gloves on defense.
8. Opposing team gets runs for reaching 2B.

Since we aren't being totally serious, I'll steal a page from the Savannah Bananas ...

Every defensive player must touch the ball before they can make a play at first base.

Fans catching foul balls in the stands count as outs.

My own personal touch:

Random handicap wheel (an idea I had for a fundraiser event) which contains things like:
  • Pirate for an inning (opposing team must wear an eyepatch for 1/2 inning)
  • Turnaround (players must spin in a complete circle before fielding the ball)
  • Bonus ball (like pinball, a second ball will randomly be thrown on the field; the defense can play either one, but the offense's runs count double)
I can't recall what else I had ...

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sstop28