Check Points

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Actually, that would be a bad assumption on your part.

I did write that, but it came right of the RVP product, word for word. I was simply using it as "back up" to what Wellphyt said, which is why I said aka Skip a Rock.

Not everything has to be so technical and difficult to understand. I respect that you have a vast understanding of the body and what you percieve to be the correct way of doing things. However, I will revert back to Don Slaught again and say that instructors need to let the drills do the teaching and find ways to teach by having a student feel the correct movement through drills, such as Skipping a Rock which is a Drill I use and have good success with which is why I said to be careful about bat drag.

Just curious ... this time when you revert back to Don Slaught, do you 'care' or 'not care'?

My point is ... you wrote it in a post, which led me to believe that you 'cared', but you have clarified that you do not 'care' about that particular content that you have posted.

Basically ... if you don't care, why discuss it?

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
When I come to the practical hitting forum, I expect to discuss the practice of drills and ways to get a student to feel and perform the correct actions. I don't necessarily need a technical white paper on why it is that a hitter must pronate this or internally rotate that. If I do, I'll be happy to see you on the technical hitting forum, or better yet visit Mr. Englishbey on his site.

Part of satisfying the above stated goal is understanding the swing ... after all, how do you provide feedback to a hitter if you don't understand the swing sequence? The usage of such words such as 'pronate' and 'supinate' add clarification to those that care to extend an effort to understand the words ... if that does not include you, then feel free to ignore such posts.

Jan 25, 2011
NOW,I myself just a dad,but,I do care about every fine detail thats invoved with the swing.I find that if you don't then what are you doing to help the hitter?thank you FFS,I do find yours and others like you, that break down the swing in fine details very informative.Also with pitching too!We may not allways agree,with what we see,but sharing the ideas,goes along ways with understanding the swing.

Oct 12, 2009
If you tell them to skip a rock they will probably get the idea of what you want.

While some/most boys will get this, many/most girls won't.

We went on vacation to a lake this year and just for fun, and to see what would happen with respect to this topic, I had everyone (3 men, 3 women, 2 boys, and 3 girls) engage in a rock skipping contest. The girls and women all had to be taught how to do it. Most of them got it eventually, but they had to be shown and taught how to do it.

In particular, the females wanted to keep their shoulders level and underhand the rock.

They had to be explicitly taught how to tilt to get the rock to rotate on a vertical axis and skip.

P.S. I have a theory that, aside from seemingly meaningless games like skipping rocks, one other game that helps males learn how to throw well is gutterball, which is a game that relatively few girls play.

Last edited:
Sep 17, 2009
ok I googled gutterball and still don't know what it is : >

Maybe a regional thing (with another name elsewhere?)

Oct 12, 2009
ok I googled gutterball and still don't know what it is : >

Maybe a regional thing (with another name elsewhere?)

What is the world coming to?

Roll%20Out%20V-Series-280.jpg

You play it in a pool. Two guys or teams go on opposite sides of the pool. You score points by throwing or skipping a ball into the gutter behind the opposing team. They try to block your shot.

Of course, many pools now don't even have gutters that are compatible with this game.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
Me and my bother played it with a nerfball. For the people they don't know that was a small softball size sponge like material ball. Would float when wet,squeezed the water out to throw and skip across the water like a rock low.Tried to make it skip low and land in the pool gutter to score.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bookish