Cheating or Aggressive Base Running?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
"Coach player team made a decision to get one extra run and give up all of their integrity."

EXACTLY. I cant believe this discussion continues. Opposing coach and SS remaining quiet or not understanding the rules is unexplainable. Still, the coach that called this play should be fired. Done.

Jul 27, 2021
Rumor around here is, the coach told the original runner to do this and she refused so the coach subbed her out for one that would. I've coached against this coach for years with my older daughter's teams and this doesn't surprise me a bit.
This is exactly why you have to take care of these bad sportsman right away. Umps that have no backbone or just sit on their hands are giving these cheaters life. This particular dude has done so much to harm the sport. Years of cheating others, training players to cheat is an exponential issue.

Around here umps are pretty mediocre so getting good calls is a win. Anything more would be shocking. Most of the field umps just stare down to home plate and do nothing.

Ever hear of the "Ground rule triple"? Yup, had that call by a field ump. Well hit ball went all the way to the fence and under. Ump put the runner on third.

May 27, 2022
'Some cross the line morally/ ethically but maybe not in violation of rules.'

'Some cheat outright.'

And this is where umpires have to look at more than one issue that might be on the field.

This video's discussion shows several issue's.
Base runner possibly leaving early, an appeal and a outright cheating moment.

We only saw a small clip of what happened in that game,
we do not know if the Umpire actually did go warn the coach about what had happened. 🤷‍♀️
That would have at least been some sort of repercussion.
To do nothing imo is failure.

We are going to have to disagree here. And, I suspect, both side feels strong about their opinion.

Another example, runner ends up at third with a late throw to the third baseman. 3rd base coach asks the 3rd base player to see the ball. Player tosses the ball towards the coach. Coach sidesteps the ball and sends the runner home as the ball is rolling to the fence. What now?

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
We are going to have to disagree here.
So you are disagreeing with even a warning?
Here is a clip of my post.
you highlighted this comment.⬇️

Screenshot_20221021-062700_Chrome.jpg

My goodness even the rule book recognizes that a warning of first offense in the game is applicable.
And could warrant a repercussion in the same game if it were to happen again.

Last edited:
Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
We are going to have to disagree here. And, I suspect, both side feels strong about their opinion.

Another example, runner ends up at third with a late throw to the third baseman. 3rd base coach asks the 3rd base player to see the ball. Player tosses the ball towards the coach. Coach sidesteps the ball and sends the runner home as the ball is rolling to the fence. What now?
Throw the coach out and runner returns to 3rd.

Jun 27, 2021
This stands out as a reminder of why certain coached teams are not invited to particular events.

At least that repercussion can be handled without an Umpire.
Championship teams/culture don't play this way. But you correct, these things take care of themselves. As a parent or player, you can either attach yourself to this or get away or address it yourself.

Jul 2, 2013
Championship teams/culture don't play this way. But you correct, these things take care of themselves. As a parent or player, you can either attach yourself to this or get away or address it yourself.

This guy disagrees 👇 And before everyone jumps on me, I'm not condoning it and I'm NOT a Belichick fan. But it has worked for him. 🤷‍♂️

Bill_Belichick_2019_crop.jpg

Jul 2, 2013
Fine the coach $500K and we can all move on like the NFL for Spygate.

I'm sure a fine of a portion of his coaching stipend from the school would probably hurt. But if it's anything like stipends where I'm at, you would be talking about taking the whole thing away to make it noticeable. Firing him would be more effective.

Sadly, we all know that cheaters win sometimes. It doesn't make it right but it happens. And if reports of tweets and things like that are true, not only is this guy a cheater, he's an egomaniac. Who brags about cheating and getting away with it right after it happens?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ceez12