Changing speeds

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 9, 2010
DD has fastball, flip change and working on peel drop. What are some of the ways to take a little off a pitch? Grip the ball deeper? Grip it harder? Stiffen the wrist a little? Looking for a 3rd off speed pitch in
between fastball and change. 10-13mph diff. in change and fastball.

Feb 26, 2010
Crazyville IL
All of the options you listed as a possibility could work but really depends on the pitcher. You might consider going with a horseshoe or circle change as an additional offspeed pitch. The different release will give a different speed and spin than the flip.

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
I'm a big off speed fan, and usually call it more than the change up. Around here we call it the 'sucker pitch'. It makes an aggressive batter look foolish.

I can't speak for all, but my DD will keep her wrist a little stiff and not use a final snap of the fingers at release. It will take off 5-6-7 MPH from FB.

Jan 30, 2010
My DD uses the Screwball as a off speed, because she cant throw it as hard as a fastball.Thats just the way she throws it.

FJRGerry

Abby's Dad
Jan 23, 2009
Collegeville, PA
While experimenting with different change-ups I had my daughter focus on keeping her throwing arm (elbow & wrist) straight through the windmill (to reduce arm-whip) and palm the ball - letting her arm "float" after release. This didn't work as a true change-up but does work as an offspeed pitch. She still strides the same and keeps the same arm speed using it. Her true change-up uses a knuckle grip.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corrie00