change up vs. off speed

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 5, 2012
Mid West
Where I come from an off speed is only a few mph difference from your hard stuff. This is accomplished by tucking the ball deeper into the palm or maybe by adding another finger to the grip. A change up is about 15-20% slower than the fastest. These are my definitions. Is this a regional thing where people out west call a change up an off speed? Some people refer to a Coke as a soda or a pop...

Feb 7, 2013
In general, I agree with your definition. To me a change-up by definition is noticeably slower (20 - 30%) than the fastest pitch. To me an off speed pitch can be achieved by more skin on the ball only, to slow it down somewhat. But a change-up works by limiting some of the arm whip, there by decreasing the velocity of the pitch considerably. Commentators seem to call any pitch with less speed, an off speed pitch. A change-up can be an "off-speed" pitch but an "off-speed" pitch isn't necessarily a change-up. If that makes sense?

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
IMHO - a change up is a pitch that is designed to deceive the batter. A good change up delivery mimics a fastball, but the pitch is typically 10+MPH slower than the fastball. An off speed pitch is a pitch thrown at different speeds (typically 5-10MPH slower) to throw off a batters timing.

Dec 5, 2012
Mid West
I'm on par with both of you... I hear commentators on TV constantly calling change ups, off speed and it drives me nuts! I just wasn't sure if it was a tomato- tamoto thing...

halskinner

Banned
May 7, 2008
IMHO - a change up is a pitch that is designed to deceive the batter. A good change up delivery mimics a fastball, but the pitch is typically 10+MPH slower than the fastball. An off speed pitch is a pitch thrown at different speeds (typically 5-10MPH slower) to throw off a batters timing.

JAD, not trying to contest what you are saying and not trying to single you out.
However, I have to ask this question as I am curious what answer others will give.

"to throw off a batters timing".. A batters timing of what?

I have heard people say that "Hitting is timing and pitching is disrupting that timing". Again I will ask, timing of what exactly?

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
JAD, not trying to contest what you are saying and not trying to single you out.
However, I have to ask this question as I am curious what answer others will give.

"to throw off a batters timing".. A batters timing of what?

I have heard people say that "Hitting is timing and pitching is disrupting that timing". Again I will ask, timing of what exactly?

Hal, I was going to refer you to the thread entitled "why you should use 3 speeds in pitching", when I noticed that YOU were the one who started the thread, so I reread your question and shook my head and thought....WTH?

Why you should use 3 speeds in pitching

halskinner

Banned
May 7, 2008
Hal - don't recall if you've discussed it before, but in all seriousness, what kind of a hitter would you say you were?

I was a hit it to the wall power hitter, but only twice did it go over. I haad some awesome hitters on my teams. For a guy 15 to 20 pounds overweight, I was surprisingly fast getting to first. But, a lousy baserunner, top heavy and took a mile to round a bag.

The only time I was allowed to hit was the 1 or 2 tournies a yearthat did not allow a DH. They didnt want me getting hurt running bases.

Dec 7, 2011
I'm on par with both of you... I hear commentators on TV constantly calling change ups, off speed and it drives me nuts! I just wasn't sure if it was a tomato- tamoto thing...

Fully agreed with your definitions and wish it was more commonly understood as you are wishing too.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nate321