Catching with a first baseman's glove

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jeff Kneiert

Miltonball
May 3, 2010
Any thoughts on the use of a first basemen's glove to catch? It seems like more catchers are using this, anyone have experience with a catcher's mitt vs the first basemen's glove?

May 7, 2008
Tucson
Here is what I use at 1st base. It has been used for catching by both girls and boys.
th_Photoon2010-06-09at1542.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Boombah makes one mitt and it is also both.

There isn't as much difference between the catcher's mitt and first base mitt in softball as there is in baseball.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
I looked at the heavier mitt that I use for girls that can reach mid 50s, I really didn't know if it was a catcher's mitt or first base mitt. It is a 13 inch Worth Liberty Advanced first base mitt. I have added padding to the palm, though - but I shouldn't be catching a ball in the palm, anyway.

Jul 26, 2010
There are several catching coaches in my area that advocate the catcher using a 1b mitt instead of a catchers mitt in my area. For one thing, 14 year olds aren't pitching at speeds where protection is more of an emphasis then control (catchers mitt design). 1b mitts are better for scooping drop balls, from what I understand, and are lighter then catchers mitts.

From what I can tell, the only advantage of a catchers mitt over a 1b mitt is protection/padding.

Screwball makes a good point about the target. .. but nearly every PC I know emphasizes hitting a dot on the mitt, the label on the inside, a knot, or whatever and not just to 'throw to the glove"

-W

May 7, 2008
Tucson
Here is the Boombah mitt that I want. Scroll down for a good look at it. It resembles a claw. (I like a little different items, such as my yellow truck and my Mac computer.) Custom Cowhide Leather Gloves I guess you have to click on the mitt and scroll down again.

I am happy if the girls will wear any mitt. In rec, it is whatever glove they happen to own.

Mar 13, 2010
Screwball makes a good point about the target. .. but nearly every PC I know emphasizes hitting a dot on the mitt, the label on the inside, a knot, or whatever and not just to 'throw to the glove"

You teach to 'throw to the glove' to little girls. From about 11-12 (and this is older than they do in America I know) is when I start telling my girls to start looking for the one spot.

May 9, 2008
Hartford, CT
This is just my observation: our league has catchers mitts...not the best quality and they are stiff and hand strength to squeeze shut isn't there for girls under 13 (I can hardly close them myself).
My DD (12) used her regular fielders mitt. Pitchers just aren't pitching fast enough at that level age either...she adds a palm guard to catch for her older sister 55-58 mph.
I caught through high school and used a fielders glove.

I watch the younger players drop the ball numerous times and it gets frustrating for all ... then they don't want to catch anymore.

I guess at what level/age ... whatever works best ..... if they aren't in pain and are catching the ball ... does it really make that much difference?

Nov 12, 2009
Kansas City
I do see younger players up to 16U occasionally using a 1B mitt. They are padded and braced differently and will affect receiving pitches. I do see catchers dropping balls for a variety of reasons. Sometimes the glove is too stiff and hard to close. One catcher I worked with had problems closing her glove. Upon looking at her glove and how it fitted, we determined her wrist band was cinched too tight and prevented her from closing her glove. We had her un-cinch her wrist band and squeeze the glove closed before cinching her wrist band... Problem solved. Another catcher could not keep the ball in her glove unless it hit the pocket dead on. Closer inspection revealed that the stiffeners in her glove had broken and the glove would simply fold over on anything out of the pocket.

It does depend on the catcher's level of interest, if they are playing rec ball or are a casual player, the 1B mitt is fine. If your catcher is more serious and plays the position regularly, take the time to get them a good fitting catcher's mitt.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bookish