Catcher's mitt for a grown man???

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 10, 2013
USA
Understood, but a 1B glove offers you a longer glove for reaching and it will be easier to find a model that fits your hand for your budget. If the thinner padding becomes a problem, you can always solve that with different products on your hand.

I've used 1B for years and because of its much larger pocket, hardly ever received one in the palm where it would hurt.

Sorry didn't mean to sound like an rear, I just want a catcher's mitt, thanks for your info.

Jun 24, 2011
This is the one I just ordered, $141. Wife let me up the amount I was looking to spend, lol.

That's a pretty good price, too.

DD tried it on when we were shopping for her catcher's mitt and immediately said, "this thing is WAY too big." I tried it on and thought it was perfect for a bucket dad. It was fairly stiff, too; a pitching machine may be your new best friend in breaking it in.

Mar 21, 2013
I am 6'5" with big hands and have found Louisville to fit my hand the best. The hand wells seem a bit bigger than most imho.

May 10, 2013
USA
Well I got it today and I couldn't get my hand in it either. The ebay listing said no returns, filed a request for one anyway, hope he gives one anyway. If not I will be trying to sell it.

Here is what I'm trying next if I can find one:
Wilson A2000 35 1/2" mitt is one i use for my DD and very durable and sturdy. Started out with an A600 and had to move up to a more durable mitt. Link below.

http://baseballstore-us.incomeshops....chers-mitt/186

May 8, 2015
I recently purchased a Vinci from Casedawg. When I put it on for the first time, it was very stiff and tight on my hand. After some conditioner( that he supplied!) and catching for a few weeks, it fits perfectly!

obbay

Banned
Aug 21, 2008
Boston, MA
I've used 1B for years and because of its much larger pocket, hardly ever received one in the palm where it would hurt.
I needed to get a catchers mitt because when setting up behind the plate and making a target, catching in the palm was frequent.

OP- In your case I think trying them on is important. I would suggest trying out the sporting goods stores in your area and also the used sporting goods stores (Play it again sports?) in your area. in both cases the selection will be limited, but worth checking out to find a brand and/or size that fits.

also when you get your glove and start using it, you may find that (catching low pitches and drop balls) when the ball hits the thumb of your glove, it really torques your thumb. the thumb of the mitt acts like a lever bending your thumb back. if that is the case, don't hesitate to get an evoshield thumb guard. it gets custom molded to your thumb (you will need assistance for this) and acts kind of like a splint, supporting your thumb when the external forces are trying to bend it back. I tried to suck it up and shake it off but it only got worse and eventuallyasked th question and folks on this board led me to the evoshield thumb guard,
EvoShield Baseball Catcher's Thumb Guard

good luck finding the mitt!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi