10U Catcher's mitt - recommendations

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 22, 2016
Southern California
My daughter is a 2011 player who will be playing 10U for the next couple of years. She played up in the spring in 10U and has been playing on a travel-lite since August (very common in California these days as rec leagues are practice-only) and was using an Akadema baseball catcher's mitt. It had a bit of an issue with pocket size for the ball and seemed a bit heavy for her.

Well, she lost it. My parents need some Christas gift ideas, so looking for a mitt that'll serve her well for the next two years. I'm all ears on recommendations. My biggest preference is something that won't take a year to break in.

Thanks in advance!

Seth

Mar 6, 2016
Your options will vary greatly based on price point you are willing to pay.

Both my DDs played/play C and at the 10u age I wasn't ready to spend too much $$$ on a glove that they may not like or even use more than 1 year if they decided they didn't like C.

So I eventually went with Mizuno MVP SE mitt for my first daughter (got it on sale for $65). That lasted 3 full years. She loved it. Hard to break in at first but very soft and comfortable.

Then for my youngest (a lefty) was a little harder to find a mitt. We tried a Wilson but she immediately hated it. Too heavy and hurt/pinched her pinky inside. So then I found a lefty lblack Xeno catchers glove for $55 I think and she likes it and still uses it into her 2nd season now with it. Its not high end like many use, but she likes it being lightweight and nothing pops out and its soft inside according to her description. What else does a 12yr old need? 😜

Mizuno SE was 34" (older daughter had bigger hands and a bit stronger at 10u) and Xeno was 33".

Nov 8, 2020
34" is the most common mit size for fastpitch catchers. And at the travel level you'll see that most catchers are using the A2000 FPCM34. Wilson did make a 33" version of this glove but i haven't seen as many of them recently so they may just make the 34" now.

At 10U, the 279 msrp on the A2000 may be steep. I saw Easton had a nice looking new catchers mitt on display at the Bombers Showcase, it may be something Jen has helped develop, I believe it had a price point around 200 but they may have other levels of the same glove.

Marrucci makes the Palmetto series catchers glove, it's their lower price point glove and it seemed pretty reasonable and breaks in quickly.

Mizuno MVP, Rawlings Liberty (the old Worth gloves) are also around 100 dollars and decent gloves she might get a couple years out of if she takes care of them

Nov 8, 2020
Lefty catchers mitts are pretty rare, may have to go the custom route on them and that can get pricey. Especially when the cheaper MFRs of custom gloves like 44Pro do not even offer lefty catchers gloves last I heard.

Nov 18, 2015
I think anything offered in a 34” is going to be too much glove for a 9YO.

I know everyone is different, but my daughter and our 11U team’s other catcher both felt my 34” Liberty was too heavy.

I’d just start with an All-Star: https://www.baseballmonkey.com/equi...ftball-glove-pro-catchers-mitt-youth-315.html

Break in is minimal, and while I’m looking to upgrade, it’s still going strong with a 12” ball. I think it’s going on 2 years of travel use now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jul 29, 2013
North Carolina

I know everyone is different, but my daughter and our 11U team’s other catcher both felt my 34” Liberty was too heavy.

I’d just start with an All-Star: https://www.baseballmonkey.com/equi...ftball-glove-pro-catchers-mitt-youth-315.html

Break in is minimal, and while I’m looking to upgrade, it’s still going strong with a 12” ball. I think it’s going on 2 years of travel use now.

Go with this post right here!

Mar 22, 2016
Southern California

So even at 31.5" it's working well with a 12-inch?

Thanks for the 34" comment about being too much glove. That's what I'm trying to avoid.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802