Catchers mitt for 1st time catcher?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 22, 2010
My daughter is 12 and has played since she was 8. I've always had the dream of her catching because of her build and her arm and it seemed like a good fit. But..she was having none of it. So I gave up. :) And wouldn't you know it when I gave up she decided she would like to try it. (She is def my child cause I'm the same way LOL) I'm taking her to a catching coach with a really good reputation. Her name is Doreen Denmon and she has played on international teams and (from the info I got when I googled her:)) she was one of the trainers for the 94 Olympic softball team. Anyway... Since she has never done this I went to a second hand sporting goods place and got her some gear but she's been using her regular fielding glove. I'd like to buy her a good catchers mitt for no more than $100-$120. I don't mind spending that much but I'm not spending $200 on a catchers mitt if she decides in a few months she doesn't like it. One of the pitchers she will be catching off of pitches very fast for her age. Does anyone have any suggestions for a middle of the line catchers mitt?

Oh and she will also be playing Middle School softball next year.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
Ebay.....there are a lot of good catchers mitts, new and used, there for under $100. You can even find really nice gloves for less than $50 on occasion. Make sure you buy a glove that is designed for softball (it has a bigger spread in the palm to accomodate the larger ball size). Using a baseball catchers mitt for fastpitch is a BAD IDEA! You will also need to figure out what size glove your daughter needs as they range from @ 32-35".

If you buy a new glove you will probably need to help her break it in. Every time one of our catchers gets a new glove, I get the job of breaking it in since my DD is a pitcher and I end up catching 500+ balls/week during her practices and warm ups.

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
Yes I would love an already broke in mitt. I will check out ebay. Have any suggestions on brands?

Mizuno's - GX93 is a fantastic glove (it catches EVERYTHING) and so are most of their models. You can even their higher end models for sub $100 from places like SoftballSavings and BallGloveWarehouse.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
I have one for sale. It is a Worth Advanced and is white and navy. It is 80% broken in. I need $70.00 for it and that it total. Amy

Mar 23, 2010
Cafilornia
Well within that range is the Worth D1, which I really like, but she really has to try them all.

A hand-me-down from a local HS or TB kid while you break in a new one is a pretty sweet deal if you can work it.

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
Mizuno's - GX93 is a fantastic glove (it catches EVERYTHING) and so are most of their models. You can even their higher end models for sub $100 from places like SoftballSavings and BallGloveWarehouse.

Dido. This is a popular glove with the girls. Large pocket that the ball doesn't fall out of.

I would recommend checking some gloves out in person, some brand to brand they fit WAY differently. Some 32 inch are good, some 32 inch are tiny.

Mar 23, 2010
Cafilornia
If I understood OP's question correctly, the one brand I would tend NOT to recommend for a USED glove would be Mizuno.
The gxs5x's and gxs9x's are game-ready lines, and by the time the original owner parts with one, it's usually a floppy mess.

Jan 4, 2012
OH-IO
I just bought my experimental catcher a $10 padded catchers glove insert. She puts it on then into her fielding glove. She put a mitt on once, and said noway... She will never play, without the old SSK

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06