Catchers mitt for 1st time catcher?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
If I understood OP's question correctly, the one brand I would tend NOT to recommend for a USED glove would be Mizuno.
The gxs5x's and gxs9x's are game-ready lines, and by the time the original owner parts with one, it's usually a floppy mess.

Agree - no reason to buy a used Mizuno - they are not that expensive new.

Jul 19, 2008
Mizuno's - GX93 is a fantastic glove (it catches EVERYTHING) and so are most of their models. You can even their higher end models for sub $100 from places like SoftballSavings and BallGloveWarehouse.

Is the GXS92 the same mitt by chance? Like maybe one replaced the other or something. I am also looking for a good catchers mitt for my daughter who is 17 and plays high school softball. She does have smaller hands. SHe used another players mitt last year and likes it, but its a smaller one and causes drops that should not happen.

Aug 8, 2010
I am the FP Rep for Vinci gloves and we have come out with a new version of out catchers mitt. It is a steerhide version of the JCV-VM called the JCV-22. Break in is much faster but still same frame and great padding. Retail is 159 but I can do you a little better as a Rep. Great glove. Superior to my daughters Mizuno GXS32, which she was using because she wasn't ready for the heavy duty JCV-VM.

howell@syrupcity.net
229-224-0759
Casey

Last edited:
Apr 1, 2010
My 12 yr old DD recently got a Mizuno GXS92. I highly recommend it. It's a great mitt: huge, wonderful pocket that catches every darn thing, not too heavy, and it's inexpensive enough and easy enough to break in to simply buy new. If you find a store with a Mizuno glove steamer, it will be game ready when you walk out of the door.

From what I've heard, the higher end Mizuno mitts are great too, but they would take more break in time which might discourage her.

Last edited:
Mar 22, 2010
Ok well I'm either a really awesome mom or a really stupid one. I guess time will tell. :confused: My husband was able to finally come to one of her practices (he coaches my youngest ones softball team so he usually isn't able to come) and was talking with the coaches and all so he sent me to our local sporting good store to buy a good glove for her. I came home with a Nokona. I called to check with him to make sure he wanted to spend that much before I bought it and he gave the go ahead. If it was a bat I wouldn't think anything of it but I've never spent that on a glove. Whew! Anyway I was at least relieved to see that was a brand someone suggested on here. The glove has a closed pocket on it and my daughter seemed to like that better than the others. I told her she may not make it as a catcher but she dang sure better give it all she's got!

Apr 1, 2010
I wouldn't worry about it, chapelhill. Nokonas are good mitts. They also hold value pretty well, so if she doesn't stay with catching or wants something different, you should be able to sell it on the bay. There's a partially broken-in one out there now with bidding up to $170. :)

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06