Catcher's Gear

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
I see that your dd wears All-star gear with a Wilson helmet. Why did you/she choose that helmet over the All-star?

Was this question for me?

My DD liked the fit (and look) of the Wilson helmet better than the All-Star. I like the fact that the cage is mounted on springs to absorb direct frontal impacts. The All-Star cage is mounted in a way to allow some give, too, but not as much as the Wilson. The All-Star helmet has the advantage of removable and washable pads.

Dec 19, 2012
Thanks for your responses! I found a store, not too far away, where we can actually go try out different sets. After searching online, I'm leaning towards the Wilson but she likes the All-star. Hopefully, we can make a decision once we see it in person.

Either set would be a great decision. If the prices are similar, which I assume they will be, I personally would let her decide which gear she prefers.

Mar 19, 2014
Also, if it matters. Wilsons warranty and customer service is amazing. My DD had one of the pads fall out of her catchers helmet so I called Wilson and they told me they'd send out a whole new helmet. When I asked them if they're going to pay shipping to ship the old one back, they said "no you can keep it and we recommend using gorilla glue to glue the pad back in". So now my DD still wears the original one and the new one is sitting in the box for when she needs it.

Dec 19, 2012
Also, if it matters. Wilsons warranty and customer service is amazing. My DD had one of the pads fall out of her catchers helmet so I called Wilson and they told me they'd send out a whole new helmet. When I asked them if they're going to pay shipping to ship the old one back, they said "no you can keep it and we recommend using gorilla glue to glue the pad back in". So now my DD still wears the original one and the new one is sitting in the box for when she needs it.

How long did you have the helmet before the pad fell out? That happened to my dd this past summer but it was in it's 4th year of being worn. I did the same exact thing......I Gorilla Glued it back in place. Worked like a charm.

May 24, 2013
So Cal

Damn. That is good service. I didn't even consider calling to complain about a helmet pad falling out. I keep Gorilla Glue in my backpack as a regular part of my game kit, and it gets used frequently (batting helmets, mostly).

Mar 19, 2014
How long did you have the helmet before the pad fell out? That happened to my dd this past summer but it was in it's 4th year of being worn. I did the same exact thing......I Gorilla Glued it back in place. Worked like a charm.

It was only about 4 months old when that happened. She's had the helmet for a year now without anymore problems. She even puts the shocks to use.
image.jpg

Mar 19, 2014
Damn. That is good service. I didn't even consider calling to complain about a helmet pad falling out. I keep Gorilla Glue in my backpack as a regular part of my game kit, and it gets used frequently (batting helmets, mostly).

If the helmet wasn't so new at the time I probably would've never thought about calling customer service but I was angry that it was so new that I had to call and complain. They went out of their way to make it right in my opinion.

Dec 19, 2012
It was only about 4 months old when that happened. She's had the helmet for a year now without anymore problems. She even puts the shocks to use.
View attachment 8940

My dd took a wierd shot to the top of the cage last fall. The shocks were of little use it hit up so high. It hit with such force that it slightly bent the top horizontal bar directly above the right eye. It just didn't sound right. The cage and helmet did their job in that she had no worry of a concussion (she did go through a concussion test at the complex), but her neck was a bit stiff the next day. I've seen a couple of similar hits over the years where the catcher had to leave the game.

Sep 11, 2014
Was this question for me?

My DD liked the fit (and look) of the Wilson helmet better than the All-Star. I like the fact that the cage is mounted on springs to absorb direct frontal impacts. The All-Star cage is mounted in a way to allow some give, too, but not as much as the Wilson. The All-Star helmet has the advantage of removable and washable pads.

Yes. Sorry about that! Still trying to navigate around here. DD was able to try on the All-star helmet and liked the fit but based on reviews, I'm still leaning towards the Wilson. I'm more concerned with protecting her noggin than hygiene at this point.;) Any recommendations on good websites for ordering online? I'm sure there's already a thread on that but couldn't find it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
YOUNGG