Catcher's Gear

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 11, 2014
My DD is in her first season of 14u travel ball and is in need of some new catcher's gear. What is considered the best and why? Also, any experience with gear that you do not recommend is greatly appreciated! One of her middle school teammates has a Mako set that DD's likes the looks of but I want to be sure that I'm making a good investment.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
The general DFP consensus tends to put All-Star and Wilson gear at the top of the list. Both of these brands have excellent padding at the patella/knee, offer excellent protection and comfortable fit. The chest protectors on both brands are also excellent for fit, protection, and performance. Most people RAVE about the fit of the Wilson gear, especially.

From what I have seen, Easton's gear is a step behind for patella/knee protection and comfort. Mizuno, too, has some weaknesses. The padding in the Miz chest is too rigid, which leads to balls bouncing further away and more transmission of energy into the body. The stiffness also isn't particularly comfortable.

May 23, 2015
I'm going to go completely against the consensus, but what's new. I caught for 15 years and Wilson really took great care of me, but I've been disappointed in their gear lately. After 5 minutes of inspecting schutt's 3.2 series chest and leg I knew if would be a winner. Their pads are perforated for breathability and weight reduction. Their head gear is American made, lightweight with removable padding. Air circulates through the helmet and is significantly cooler. Check it out. I'll bet you'll love it!

Jul 14, 2010
NJ/PA
Not trying to be a wise guy, but honestly...do a search. This question is probably asked once a month and the answers are mostly the same. Wilson, All-Star, Schutt, Mizuno.

Easton's stuff is a step down from Wilson and All-Star in my opinion. Certainly not in price, though.

Apr 26, 2015
My DD is on the smaller side and we mixed and matched what fit her best. She loves her Mizuno legs, Schutt chest and All-Star helmet.

Jan 27, 2010
NJ
I have found that DD didn't like everything from any one manufacturer. She wears All Star shin guards, Rawlings Chest protector and an Easton helmet.

Oct 1, 2014
USA
DD is currently using the Schutt Chest protector and shin guards. One season on them so far, big improvement over the old Easton gear. Still using the old Easton helmet but it's days are numbered and she has her eyes on the Wilson FX 2.0 lid after some research and trying a few on.

Dec 19, 2012
My dd loves her Wilson ProMotion gear with the Wilson FX 2.0 helmet. The legs are light, sturdy, comfortable, and protective. The chest is light, conforming, protective, deadens the ball like no other, and moves with the player. The helmet is protective, offers high visibility, reduces shock at the mask, and is comfortable. As an added bonus, the gear looks great. We searched all over before my dd made a decision on the Wilson gear. At a very close 2nd place was the All-Star System 7 gear. That was almost 4 years ago. It was the first year Wilson offered the ProMotion gear. You cannot go wrong with either set.

Mar 19, 2014
My dd loves her Wilson ProMotion gear with the Wilson FX 2.0 helmet. The legs are light, sturdy, comfortable, and protective. The chest is light, conforming, protective, deadens the ball like no other, and moves with the player. The helmet is protective, offers high visibility, reduces shock at the mask, and is comfortable. As an added bonus, the gear looks great. We searched all over before my dd made a decision on the Wilson gear. At a very close 2nd place was the All-Star System 7 gear. That was almost 4 years ago. It was the first year Wilson offered the ProMotion gear. You cannot go wrong with either set.
That's basically what I was going to say. My DD loves it and will probably stick to Wilson. Every girl I see wearing ProMotion gear looks like it fits better than the rest.
image.jpg

Sep 11, 2014
Thanks for your responses! I found a store, not too far away, where we can actually go try out different sets. After searching online, I'm leaning towards the Wilson but she likes the All-star. Hopefully, we can make a decision once we see it in person.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MMMichigan1