New catching equipment

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 5, 2021
I have a 12-year-old turning 13 in December. she is super thin but very tall. The one thing she asked for for Christmas or her birthday both in December is a new set of catcher's gear.

I've been trying to find some locally to try on but without any luck. was looking at the Jen Schro stuff, That's a lot of money to throw out without sizing it. I did have her check some helmets at Dick's sporting goods and I think she needs the smaller size helmet but I think she needs the longer shin guards. I might just have to buy the pieces individually instead of a complete set.

any advice on where or how I should size her?

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

Jul 27, 2021
Sizing a pre-teen or young teen is tough. I just had to go through this as well.

Head to big box store and try on gear. Buy pieces online.

Gotta do what you gotta do.

And our teams use a certain brand. Sheesh

Nov 5, 2021
Dicks had no softball stuff. Do you think baseball gear would be close for sizing ?

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

CoreSoftball20

Wilson = Evil Empire
DFP Vendor
Dec 27, 2012
Kunkletown, PA
Mizuno Samurai gear is nice too.

But yeah, sizing stuff stinks as not many stores carry high end, good catchers gear for parents to try on.

Oct 1, 2014
USA
Given the nature of this stuff and the discrepancies between brands when it comes to sizing this is not a simple task. If you can find a dedicated sports store that has a couple brands (you're lucky) go ahead and take good notes on the sizes that work for all the pieces. As was mentioned above sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do...if the value added is there I say support them. If not at least you have a baseline for what to order online. And, always try to buy with free returns. No, it doesn't need to all match (usually).

Apr 30, 2018
Went through this with my DD a year or so ago. Ended up buying $1000+ worth of catching gear online, mostly Amazon. Different sizes and different brands. A medium from one brand was not the same as a medium from another brand. Ended up with the Easton Jen gear. She did like some of the other individual pieces from other brands, but she wanted a color matching set. She likes the white set. Helmet stays cooler than the black sets many go with. Returned everything else that didn't work.

Sent from my SM-F926U1 using Tapatalk

Oct 3, 2011
Right Here For Now
Sizing catchers' gear.
Helmet: measure circumference of the head with a measuring tape. Convert this measurement into hat size. Helmets are based on hat sizes.
Chest Protector: measure from the bottom of the collar bone to the belly button/navel.
Leg/shin guards: measure middle of the knee to top of the ankle.

Many people mix and match because of comfort and fit of the varying manufacturers. Thus the reason to try it on. In catchers gear, the fit is far different from the size as you'll find out through the years.

I would recommend looking at the Schutt S3 sets for your DD. The leg guards have a tendency to fit the thinner legs better than others. Their S3.5 CP is very comfortable, breathes by letting air pass through and offers great protection. Finally, their AIR MAXX helmet is cooler and lighter than others while offering superior protection than other helmets at the same price point, The technology/gel pads that they use in their football helmets are incorporated into these and their are a variety of options from your basic 2966 for about a $100 to one with a titanium mask at around $160. Best of all, you order each piece by size and if they're slightly off, they'll exchange them easily enough. The customer service is outstanding.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brookeshaelee