catchers gear bag or bags?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 22, 2009
PA
Boombah makes a really nice set of wheeled bags in larger and smaller sizes. We went to that this year and our catchers love them (as do their parents). We also have one player whose dad got her a ginormous wheeled hockey bag - it does not fit in the trunk if there is anything else that has to be packed with it! Not sure she is happy with her dad's choice of bag, especially since it is too big to carry on steps or uneven ground.

Jun 21, 2010
DD 12U carries two bags. One bag for a while but was too heavy for her. Maybe if it had wheels she would go back to one bag.

She goes to a pitching coach and catches for his girls. She only needs her catching gear and brings the one smaller bag.

Oct 13, 2010
Oklahoma
2 years ago, when DD 1st started to catch, we were borrowing gear and she had 2 bags. When I bought her own gear (that actually fit), she used the bag that came with it. After a 7 game tournament and her having to haul that bag in and out and all around the ballpark, she looked like a ? all hunched over. Next day we went and bought her a wheeled bag. It was great to start with, but was too wide and had small wheels. It survived the rest of last spring and 1/2 way through our school fall ball until I had to tape it up with Gorilla Tape to hold it together. Starting with this spring she could no longer unzip it all the way and 1 of the pockets had ripped out. Just this past weekend, I bought her a new bag. Bigger wheels, narrower, more compartments, seems to be sturdier. In it she has 3 helmets, 1 bat, shin guards, chest protector, 3-5 gloves at any point (sometimes her dad's and my glove get thrown in), extra shoes, and her "necessities". There is still room to spare. The biggest isn't necessarily the best, but get one with wheels.

Jun 13, 2011
Billerica, MA
Thre catchers on my team and two of them carry two bags. One defense and once catcher bag.

My DD plays catcher, 1st & 2nd. She wears a Rip-It on the field. so two helmets, Rip-It, 3 gloves, two bats, shin pads, chest protector, etc. I looked for the biggest bag on wheels at a few stores and bought a nice easton wheeled bag but it is not big enough to fit all of her stuff. So she also uses her Easton bag that all the girls have.

May 31, 2011
Go with the no E2 bag more than enough room and great warranty. The larger wheels make it easy to pull even in the grass or clay/sand

Jul 9, 2009
IL
Apparently I've just fallen off the turnip truck as I've never seen, heard of or considered 2 bags for a catcher. But it seems it is fairly common.

My daughter has used the Boombah Beast bag and it's now on its second year. I do see that Boombah has closeouts on those bags right now.

That bag is a tight fit for everything you need but if packed efficiently, it does work, with the divider taken out.

Advantages of the Boombah – it’s not too oversized as some are; it holds up well – I’ve seen a few of the NoE2 bags rip and/or have bad zippers; it’s low cost compared to many bags; has a bunch of internal small compartments for sunscreen, chapstick, money, etc……

It’s not a perfect bag but for the money, it’s very good. The bag Amy recommended I’ve seen recommended before so I’m sure it’s a good bag too.

Like a couple other posters, I never really considered 2 bags. Both of my daughters catch and used to use one of the "larger" non-wheeled bags that matched the teams. That worked until they grew and their equipment got bigger (mainly the shin guards) and eventually those bags ripped due to overstuffing. I bought them the large wheeled gear bag that matched the rest of the team bags (Diesel Gear Box from Diamond Sports). Nice design with lots of pockets for misc items and 2 large compartments for gear. Holds 2 bats.

Mar 23, 2010
Cafilornia
DD ended up with the Rawlings catcher's bag because she could get her hitting gear out separately, and we just don't travel that far.
Very impressed with the Tanel R.A.G.E. bag if you want to trade a little ease of access for compactness. Built like a Swedish whaleboat, and the divider works as a shelf when you hang it. Customer Service was great too.

Our A team got Boombah bags, and they're pretty well shot after a year.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06