catchers gear bag or bags?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 24, 2009
Does your catcher use a seperate bag for her catchers gear or does she carry one ginormous bag which holds all things softball?

It seems that kids often use their matching team bag for their regular gear, and drag a second bag full of catchers gear as well. I'm not sure that it makes sense to carry 2 bags, but I'd like some opinions before making a purchase.

Hoping to hear from someone who has tried both ways and why you prefer one over the other. Thanks all!

Apr 1, 2010
My DD has the one ginormous bag. :-D A teammate of hers carries two bags. The one that holds her gear is really cute, but it has to be packed just so. DD's bag has enough room that she can just stuff everything in, in whatever order she finds it and zip it up. That works better for her.

By the way, DD's large bag has wheels. I wouldn't recommend a large bag without them. If I had it to do over again, I think I'd buy the No E2 bag I was thinking about. It has larger "fatboy" wheels to cover terrain more easily, but it costs a lot more than the wheeled Mizuno coaches equipment bag I bought. http://www.amazon.com/Mizuno-360115-9090-01-0000-Equipment-Wheel-Bag/dp/B000IOYJ7S

Nope, I dunno on that No E2. I was just reading some reviews and saw that it seems to have lousy zippers. I'd rather struggle with smaller wheels than broken zippers. Maybe the MAXBALL bag Amy is recommending. If she's used it for years, then it sounds pretty tough. I've seen regular Boombahs and they are awesome bags--their website says their wheeled catcher's bag is being redesigned. Perhaps that new Boombah will have the advantages of the No E2 without the bad zippers....

Last edited:
Sep 3, 2009
Get the catcher's bag. It is soooo worth the added cost. One bag, everything. DD's bag is as big as she is, but we only have one thing to drag around.

Jan 27, 2010
NJ
I bought DD a big bag to carry all. She carried it but I could see it was weighing her down. She's 12U, small framed and having picked up the bag decided its not really fair to make her carry the two helmets, 3 gloves, two bats, chest protector and shin guards. Team didn't opt for the wheeled bags so I moved her catcher's gear to a small bag I carry. We have more than one catcher so she doesn't always need it.

Mar 13, 2010
One option that some friends use is having dividers in their bags. That way it's all separate.

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
One giant wheeled bag. It is same color, but not a match to rest of team...and no one cares. With the truck load of stuff we take around, last thing I want is two player bags.

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
My DD uses the bag that came with her catchers gear. Its just a big one compartment bag, she can fit all her stuff in there and she refuses to let me carry it for her. She has moved on to primarily pitching and hasn't caught in 10 months, but she still carries all the gear, just in case.

Jan 24, 2011
Texas
My DD (18U) has done both and she currently prefers 1 bag. The problem with that, when she was younger, it was too heavy for her to carry. Back then, she preferred two bags, but has since changed. I agree with an earlier poster, let the one doing the carrying decide. If your DD does it let her choose. If your that parent that carries your daughters gear, then you choose. :)

May 8, 2009
Florida
Last year my catcher's used two bags. The catchers bags provided by the organization was big enough if you packed it just perfectly, which never works out going from field to field. We picked up the back pack style ones for their other gear, used the rolling ones just for the catchers gear. It worked very well. One of the girls had her own bag which was huge, but changed over to this system.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06