Catcher Pick Off - Bases Loaded

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

sru

Jun 20, 2008
absolutely the catcher makes the throw. The play should be practiced and called by the catcher. RF needs to know whats going on and back up the throw. 2b needs to be close by for support as well.

Its an easy out.

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
Personally, I think pick-off attempts in this situation are fools gold. I believe the odds of a decent pitcher striking out the batter are greater than the odds of the stars lining up right to get the pick-off. But, again, that's just my thinking, and I'm a doofuss most of the time.

No doofuss in you. Lose a game on missed pick off to first is doofuss IMO. Winning run on third, force out at every base, they are going to have to get a base hit in our game.

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
No doofuss in you. Lose a game on missed pick off to first is doofuss IMO. Winning run on third, force out at every base, they are going to have to get a base hit in our game.

I would like a little more information concerning the situation, but in general I agree with RHC. I like having the options for force plays. Now, if there were only runners on first and second, I would go after the out. While I agree with other posts that this is a decision for the catcher, I like having my first baseman and catcher communicating. Maybe the first baseman notices something that the catcher missed. I encourage them to communicate/signal each other when they feel an opportunity exists.

Other things that could affect my decision; how did the bases get loaded to begin with? if there were some walks involved, I probably would have switched pitchers before this situation occurred.

Jan 3, 2014
Good input everybody. Like a lot of things, folks have differing opinions. Bases were loaded by an infield single and two consecutive walks. Count was up to 3-1. Pitcher was left in there because it was really just a glorified 12U scrimmage and she needed the work. It was the only time the catcher threw down the entire game. I have mixed feelings on it and simply thought my post would generate interesting discussion, which it has.

Jun 24, 2013
I am in the don’t throw camp.

On offensive we do have a sign that the runner(s) should try to advance on a pick off. If we had this on properly the defense is going to have to make a few throws and catches to have a chance to get an out.

Aug 29, 2011
NorCal

With a 2-1 count, she receives ball three
So you like your chance with a 3-1 count and the bases loaded better?

Sounds like the catcher is familiar with this play and has executed it in the past. Just a miss communication between her and 1B but sounds like she made the right play to me that should have ended the inning. Well I guess it did end the inning but it should have ended it in a good way instead of a bad one.

Aug 29, 2011
NorCal
I am in the don’t throw camp.

On offensive we do have a sign that the runner(s) should try to advance on a pick off. If we had this on properly the defense is going to have to make a few throws and catches to have a chance to get an out.

Unless it is 10U that's 2 throws the defense should be able to make pretty easily.

Oct 3, 2011
Right Here For Now
I'm in the throw camp. Snap to first and if there's no quick/easy tag (runner within a step or two), a quick throw home. A lot of times we will catch the runner from 3rd trying to steal on the throw to first. We practice this a lot and I like my catcher's being aggressive; especially in a scrimmage. That's the time to practice these situations to make them an automatic play in a game. Obviously, communication between 1B and C are key.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OAFSoftballMom#1