Catcher Pick Off - Bases Loaded

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 3, 2014
I'm interested in reading your opinions on this.

Situation: Bases loaded with two outs. We are facing a pitcher who's held us to one run, very few base runners. It's the bottom of the last inning of the game. and we are tied 1-1.

The Play: Our catcher notices the runner on 1B is taking a giant secondary lead and not paying attention for a pick off. With a 2-1 count, she receives ball three and makes a snap throw to 1B, catching the runner completely flat footed and out by three steps. But, 1B player misses the easy throw. The ball rolls into right field, one run scores and the game is over. We lose.

Of course, if the out was made, everybody is happy. That's not what happened though. Do you like an aggressive catcher in this case? Or, do you want to leave the ball in the pitchers hand and hope for a strikeout or easily hit ball for the third out? What's the right play?

Laker

Dec 4, 2013
If it's a play that I practice frequently and I have confidence in my catcher performing snap throws I'm all for it. If we practice snap throws once a month then it's a different story!

Jan 3, 2014
I think she caught her 1B as flat footed as the base runner to be honest. :eek: The biggest problem I think is this team didn't play together a lot and even though the catcher says "I gave her the look on the pitch before and she gave me the up nod so I went for it", the communication just wasn't really there.

But, in general, throwing behind a super lazy runner on 1B with bases loaded doesn't break some cardinal rule of the game right?

Personally, I thought it was a pretty heady play given the count and the odds that the winning run was likely to be walked in.

Last edited:
Jun 18, 2012
Utah
Personally, I think pick-off attempts in this situation are fools gold. I believe the odds of a decent pitcher striking out the batter are greater than the odds of the stars lining up right to get the pick-off. But, again, that's just my thinking, and I'm a doofuss most of the time.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
I'd want to know more about the game situation, age and level of play, but this really is not a high risk play, especially with a RH batter. When a pitcher is struggling, as indicated by the bases being loaded, if there's an easy out available, its foolish not to take the shot.

Mar 23, 2010
Cafilornia
If she has reason to doubt F3 or backup it's on her. If coach doesn't want her to take the risk in that situation, it's up to them to communicate that.
Otherwise, it's just another target of opportunity.

Last edited:

ArkFastpitch

Dont' I know you?
Sep 20, 2013
But if the play had been made without a hitch then there never would have been a question as to whether or not she made the right call. No risk no reward. I encourage aggressive heads up play. Could communication been a little better? Absolutely!! However she took initave and tried a gutsy play.

Dec 12, 2013
B.C. Canada
I will have my 1st base runner take an extra big leed to draw the throw to one.
Then hot box that runner and score the runner from 3rd.
Throwing behind a base runner can be dangerous given the score and is a lower percentage play.
If your up 7-0, fire away.

Aug 21, 2011
38°41'44"N 121°9'47.5"W
I don't like snap throws down to 1st or 3rd in any situation. I teach my catcher to call a play. When the appropriate players in the field acknowledge the play, then it's on. This way, either throw is being backed up by the defense and everyone is on the same page. No surprises.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DezA