Catcher Pick Off - Bases Loaded

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 1, 2010
With a force everywhere, I think it's best to hold onto the ball. Odds are that they'll be able to make that out.

IMO it's important to remember that some teams will try to bait a catcher into making a throw so that the runner can score. So what looks like a sloppy and inattentive leadoff may not be. I'd prefer to see the catcher snap the ball back to the pitcher, threaten the throw or even fake the throw to first, hoping that the runner will think she fell for the big lead off ploy and try to score. JMO.

OTOH, it was a scrimmage. There's no better time to try things!

Last edited:
Feb 3, 2011
In general, make the throw and expect the out at 12u and above.

Recognize the game situation, though. In this case, it's the bottom of the last with the winning run 60 feet away. If the runner breaks for 2B on the throw from the catcher, than 1B has got to fire it back home immediately, but I still say go for the out.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
1B and 3b should be going hard to cover their bags and the OFs hustling to back up the bases after EVERY pitch expecting a potential pick off throw. That's just sound, fundamental play and it's not like they have anything else to do on a ball not put in play. A signal and acknoweledgement shouldn't be necessary and, unless subtle, can alert the offensive team. If its not a play that you're willing to try in a meaningless scrimmage, then you're just wasting any practice time you spend working on it

Last edited:

Jun 24, 2011
I'd attempt that play every time. If 1b knows the base runner is taking a stupid huge lead and is that slow to react, time to look for a new F3. Defense wins championships!

Apr 25, 2010
Make the throw. Unless, of course, your catcher has a tendency to airmail the ball into right field.

waukeshahurricanes

Hurricanes Island
Sep 12, 2011
To much risk for the situation i was burned on a similar play but in the 1 st inning a few years ago we gave up 3 runs we never got back the margin for error at 16-18u is very little...

Oct 3, 2011
Right Here For Now
To much risk for the situation i was burned on a similar play but in the 1 st inning a few years ago we gave up 3 runs we never got back the margin for error at 16-18u is very little...

So, after 1 error on your catcher's throw, you never tried it again?! At that age, especially at the upper levels, it should be an autometic out.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
So, after 1 error on your catcher's throw, you never tried it again?! At that age, especially at the upper levels, it should be an autometic out.

Agreed. Ridiculous logic - What about the pitcher that gave up a home run? Do you never pitch them again? If you don't let catchers throw in that circumstance, then you may have a problem keeping them.

Last edited:
Aug 29, 2011
NorCal

Unless all 3 runs scored on that one overthrow, sounds like the pitcher didn't get then next batter anyway which was kind of the point of the OPs question since it was tie game, 2 outs, bottom of last inning.

but I agree with the 2 before, if your catcher can't make that throw at 16-18U most every time, time for a new catcher.

edit - nevermind I see you've already got that covered.

The Waukesha Hurricanes are looking for the following players..
16u- middle infielder or catcher
18u- catcher or pitcher

Last edited: