Catcher Myth #27 Catcher's Should take their Mask Off...

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
Both my son and daughter are catchers. My rule for them is simple - the mask goes on when you leave the dugout and comes off when you enter the dugout. I have yet to figure out a situation where they are better off with the mask on the ground instead of on their head.

So even during a time out or conference it never leaves her head? Sorry, got to throw the BS flag on that.

Feb 12, 2014
So even during a time out or conference it never leaves her head? Sorry, got to throw the BS flag on that.

Well, even my 10 and 14 year old understand that they can take it off in those situations without me having to explain it to them. I guess I should have been more clear on here. Love ya Riseball!

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
Well, even my 10 and 14 year old understand that they can take it off in those situations without me having to explain it to them. I guess I should have been more clear on here. Love ya Riseball!

I hear the same hyperbole from parents with regard to fielding masks. Yet in warmups during games and especially in practices the real truth comes out. Is it a best practice to keep it on? Yes. Are there rare times, especially at the higher levels when it may make sense to come off? Absolutely. This is especially true when you move from the sand lot to something resembling a stadium. I know several catchers that have learned this lesson and made the adjustment. Thankfully most were properly trained and had the mechanics to safely ditch the mask if needed and make the play. I find it far better to provide catchers with comprehensive training and empower them to make the best decision based on situation.

Feb 12, 2014
I hear the same hyperbole from parents with regard to fielding masks. Yet in warmups during games and especially in practices the real truth comes out. Is it a best practice to keep it on? Yes. Are there rare times, especially at the higher levels when it may make sense to come off? Absolutely. This is especially true when you move from the sand lot to something resembling a stadium. I know several catchers that have learned this lesson and made the adjustment. Thankfully most were properly trained and had the mechanics to safely ditch the mask if needed and make the play. I find it far better to provide catchers with comprehensive training and empower them to make the best decision based on situation.

That's awesome. I'm their father and I find it far better to tell them to keep the mask on their head. To each their own.

Feb 20, 2015
illinois

There may be those times......still waiting on an example though.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
There may be those times......still waiting on an example though.

If you want an example there are plenty on YouTube. You can start with Molina. However, you missing the point. There are only 2 situations regarding the removal of a mask that are totally BS. The first is all the time. The second is never. Much of the rest in the middle is open for debate. The bigger question coaches need to ask themselves is when you train an athlete are your training them to think or just obey? There are few absolutes in this game and on or off is not one of them.

Last edited:

Chris Delorit

Apr 24, 2016
Green Bay, WI

You're really at a challenging age as a father, as your kids are at an impressionable age. Protecting your children is admirable. Hopefully, they have knowledgable coaches who can teach them the game with a perspective, and that you have trust and confidence in their ability to do so.

As they advance as athletes and catchers, maybe you can even find some time to study film of a few games. Riseball offered the suggestion of Benji Molina, which is a great example. Really, most MLB or SEC baseball games offer very good information.

Enjoy the experience!

Chris

Feb 12, 2014
You're really at a challenging age as a father, as your kids are at an impressionable age. Protecting your children is admirable. Hopefully, they have knowledgable coaches who can teach them the game with a perspective, and that you have trust and confidence in their ability to do so.

As they advance as athletes and catchers, maybe you can even find some time to study film of a few games. Riseball offered the suggestion of Benji Molina, which is a great example. Really, most MLB or SEC baseball games offer very good information.

Enjoy the experience!

Chris

I think I'll just stick with the Weavers and NECC, but thinks for your concern. Man, I wonder why I never thought of watching games - everyone there must be a perfect example. I'm so dumb.

Feb 20, 2015
illinois
"Yes. Are there rare times, especially at the higher levels when it may make sense to come off? "

I am sure there are numerous examples on youtube where catchers throw the mask down and make a play. I am looking for WHY it makes more since to take it off in that situation, and WHAT those situations are. An explanation is what I was looking for. Maybe something I can point out to DD that if "this" happens then get rid of the mask. I don't think that an absolute leave the mask on all the time is "BS" at all. You can't give any reason why you disagree with that other than go watch youtube for professional baseball catchers throwing the mask down You are arguing for a point, but not able to give any reason why. Arguing for the sake of arguing is what it sounds like to me.

Last edited:
May 24, 2013
So Cal
I have taught my DD and the other catchers I have worked with to always leave the mask on when the ball is in play - fair or foul. This has been the operational baseline since my DD started catching at 9yo. If the ball is not in play, It doesn't matter if it's on their head, tucked under their arm, in their hand, or in the dirt. I only care about when there's a potential for injury. As I have said before, I generally don't have an issue with players who choose to take off their mask for high, easy, pop-flies, in foul territory, with lots of room to work, and plenty of time to ditch the mask away from their feet, if that's their preference. In that situation, the potential for injury is pretty close to zero. I also don't have an issue with players who choose to leave their mask on in that situation. Between the two, my preference is for it to be on their head.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
salgonzalez