Catcher Myth #27 Catcher's Should take their Mask Off...

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
I'm a "mask on" teacher. I want the catchers I teach to do it that way because I strongly believe it's a better when all the factors are considered.

I agree that a lot can be learned from watching the best (MLB catchers). However, many of them also have bad habits - like really poor throwing hand protection - that shouldn't be used as an example of the right way to do things.

Who is Monroe?

Damn auto correct. Aubree Munro from Florida, but then you knew that. My approach has been to teach mask on and if they are good enough athletes to figure out when to ditch it then great. Otherwise keep it on. The bottom line is the default is mask on, not ditch the mask at the first opportunity. If their mechanics suck and they ditch the mask, their mechanics still suck.

obbay

Banned
Aug 21, 2008
Boston, MA
. Today this thought is no more acceptable than putting your infant on your lap when driving or not using your seat belts.
This is great and I shall use it and accept full credit:D
Another thing I used to have to drive into old-school heads was to remind them that the old masks allowed the same peripheral vision as a diving mask- none. The new goalie style masks are designed so that they do not need to be taken off.

I'm getting back into coaching very young kids and I had forgotten about this. something they need to learn from the get go.

Last edited:

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
Storytime:

So I am umpiring a game about 3 weeks ago. Batter pops straight up... like UP... and the catcher has NO idea where it went and takes her helmet off. I can't say anything even though I know where it is. Anyay, I would have just been one voice of many - she has everyone yelling at her. Somewhat fortunately she does a 'look at her pitcher and shrugs that she has no idea where it is' so it just bounces off the top of her head...instead of getting it in the face.

And to add to this I had to call it fair because it was - catcher was standing at the front of the plate... Batter ended up on second.

As a umpire I wear the traditional ump mask rather than a helmet. The helmet is just too hot for multiple plates in Florida and we are required to take the the thing off and on all the time and wear a cap which makes the helmet unwieldy. Losing where a pop up is without top of my head protection is not my favorite thing.

Feb 19, 2016
Texas
There are few absolutes in this game and keeping the mask on at all times under all circumstances is not one of them. Do not confuse style or arguably a best practice with an absolute.
Agreed that this isn't an absolute, there will be some instances where taking the mask off makes sense. For my kids, it's just not going to be as often as some coaches and screaming parents believe it to be. We're currently in the mode of "it stays on during live play."

At the early youth level, there are more "absolutes" that become more flexible after basic skill mastery improves.

I've heard coaches that teach ripping off the mask as an absolute as well.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

obbay

Banned
Aug 21, 2008
Boston, MA
Back in the day, I heard a catcher silence her old school coach. He was yelling to/at her for not taking her mask off on a play. She replied "Coach (Dave) Weaver told me not to!"
The coach just laughed because he was the one who recommended coach weaver to her in the first place, and he knew she had bested him!

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Damn auto correct. Aubree Munro from Florida, but then you knew that. My approach has been to teach mask on and if they are good enough athletes to figure out when to ditch it then great. Otherwise keep it on. The bottom line is the default is mask on, not ditch the mask at the first opportunity. If their mechanics suck and they ditch the mask, their mechanics still suck.

Duh...Munro. Of course. I wasn't trying to be pedantic. I thought Monroe was an MLB catcher I hadn't heard of. My fault. Although Munro's style has some differences to what I prefer, there's no denying that she's one of the best defensive catchers in the game.

I agree with your approach.

Feb 20, 2015
illinois
There are few absolutes in this game and keeping the mask on at all times under all circumstances is not one of them. Do not confuse style or arguably a best practice with an absolute.

I am in favor of DD keeping the mask on at all times. What would be a time in a game, during a live ball, that is would be "best practice" to remove the mask? A few people have asked, and I have not yet seen an example of when. DD was not suppose to catch for her high school team, but the girl who was going to be catcher this year has had some, um, "mental block issues" as the coach put it, and DD has been thrown in there. I am going to have to re visit this issue with DD, as I noticed the other day that she was throwing the mask down when ball was in play and runners were possibly going to be scoring. I definately want the mask on for a play at the plate where there may be contact between runner/catcher. I am glad this thread came up. Reminded me that I need to have that talk with DD again.

obbay

Banned
Aug 21, 2008
Boston, MA
What would be a time in a game, during a live ball, that is would be "best practice" to remove the mask?

My approach has been to teach mask on and if they are good enough athletes to figure out when to ditch it then great. Otherwise keep it on. The bottom line is the default is mask on, not ditch the mask at the first opportunity.

This pretty much nails it.
For a new or young or inexperienced catcher, I think the only time they should remove the mask is between innings.

Last edited:
May 24, 2013
So Cal
I am in favor of DD keeping the mask on at all times. What would be a time in a game, during a live ball, that is would be "best practice" to remove the mask? A few people have asked, and I have not yet seen an example of when. DD was not suppose to catch for her high school team, but the girl who was going to be catcher this year has had some, um, "mental block issues" as the coach put it, and DD has been thrown in there. I am going to have to re visit this issue with DD, as I noticed the other day that she was throwing the mask down when ball was in play and runners were possibly going to be scoring. I definately want the mask on for a play at the plate where there may be contact between runner/catcher. I am glad this thread came up. Reminded me that I need to have that talk with DD again.

Show her this...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-xgBGpICS48&t=0s&list=PLLo_t691U8DWFVA8IIKNGJpRsikmuNBUp&index=1

...then have your talk.

Feb 12, 2014

Both my son and daughter are catchers. My rule for them is simple - the mask goes on when you leave the dugout and comes off when you enter the dugout. I have yet to figure out a situation where they are better off with the mask on the ground instead of on their head.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
salgonzalez