Catcher helmets

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 27, 2010
NJ
I don't think they are AND they tend to weigh more than some of the FP hockey styled helmets having looked at them for DD.

I tell DD to keep the helmet on. The openings are good enough to find bunted balls and foul balls, they are not bothered by a one hop from the outfield and it provides more protection for a play at the plate.

Dec 19, 2012
Are head caps and Mlb style face masks legal in travel ball?

I believe in ASA the JO catchers are not allowed to wear head caps. The must wear a type of helmet that covers the ears. You can get a MLB style face mask attached to a catchers helmet. That being said, I would go with a hockey style mask. It offers the best protection.

Dec 4, 2012
I will show you the rules for ASA/NCAA/NFHS regarding masks. ASA=CATCHER MASKS & EQUIPMENT: (Junior Olympic Fast Pitch) Catchers must wear a mask with throat protector, approved helmet with ear flaps, shin guards which offer protection to the knee caps and body protector. An extended wire protector may be worn in lieu of an attached throat protector. Any player warming up a Junior Olympic pitcher must wear a mask with throat protector and approved helmet with ear flaps. F/P catchers cannot wear the plastic face mask/guard.
NOTE: (Sections A-B-C) The ice hockey goalie style face mask is approved for use by catchers. If the umpire feels that there is not adequate throat protection built onto the mask, a throat attachment must be added to the mask before using.
NCAA= Though the NCAA Rule Book does not say anything about the MLB Skull Cap, it does say; The catcher’s headgear must bear a permanent mark (molded in, embossed or by indestructible seal) indicating compliance with the National Operating Committee on Standards for Athletic Equipment (NOCSAE) combined helmet and mask standard. I have not seen a NOCSAE stamped Skull Cap so I would say not to NCAA. H/S-ART. 1 . . . The catcher shall wear a catcher's helmet and mask combination that meets the NOCSAE standard. The helmet shall bear the permanent NOCSAE seal ("Figure"). A throat protector that is part of or attached to the mask shall be worn and extend far enough to adequately protect the throat. An attached throat protector shall be commercially manufactured, properly attached, unaltered and worn properly. Plastic visors attached to the catcher's helmet are prohibited. If an eye shield is worn attached to the catcher's helmet, it must be constructed of a molded, rigid material that is clear and permits 100 percent (no tint) allowable light transmission. So if the travel team is playing under ASA rules then yes a Skull Cap type helmet is not legal. A Garcia/Baseball/Softball (ASA/NCAA) umpire.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jaci’s biggest fan