Batting Helmet? Looking for something with a bigger opening to see through.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 16, 2016
Illinois
Looking for a helmet that has a bigger opening between the bars in the face shield. We have always used Demarini helmets or Evo Shield helmets, which are identical to each other. Just purchased a new Evo Shield helmet and the opening in the face shield is even smaller than it used to be. I don't like how small the opening is and looking for a new helmet with better visibility.

Dec 11, 2010
One of my pet peeves.

It has to keep a softball out. Not a baseball (or it would be a baseball face shield). It should also keep Horween from an errant tag out. Should keep you from knocking your teeth out in an accidental catcher collision. It will CERTAINLY keep your face from bleeding on home plate from an inside riseball that you did a sucky job of bunting! It DOES NOT have to protect you from a 1984 Gary Fencik helmet to helmet shot.

Last edited:
May 16, 2016
Illinois
One of my pet peeves.

It has to keep a softball out. Not a baseball (or it would be a baseball face shield). It should also keep Horween from an errant tag out. Should keep you from knocking your teeth out in an accidental catcher collision. It will CERTAINLY keep your face from bleeding on home plate from an inside riseball that you did a sucky job of bunting! It DOES NOT have to protect you from a 1984 Gary Fencik helmet to helmet shot.
The opening is almost a 1/2" smaller than the old Demarini/Evo Shield helmets.

I agree, don't understand why they make the opening between the helmets bill and the top bar of the face guard so small.

An 11" softball is 3.5" in diameter. The gap should be 3" wide for safety and better visibility, not 2" wide.

What this forum needs is a custom face guard builder for helmets.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles